Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Case -when statement-VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

oursriharsha

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl case statement

when using the case statement for , it displays when others condition is not synthesized.

is there any alternative for this .

<code>
f (STROB1= "01")then

ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP <= ADC_DATAMOS;

else
ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP<= "ZZZZZZZZ";
end if ;

process (CLK_MOS,RST_MOS,ADC_DATAMOS,STROB1,RW_MOS)

begin

if (RST_MOS='0')then
ADC_DATAMOS_TEMP <="00000000";

elsif (RST_DAQ='1') then

case ADDR_MOS is
when "00001" => MOS_REG(0) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(1) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(2) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(3) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(4) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(5) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(6) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when "00001" => MOS_REG(7) <= ADC_DATAMOS;
when others =>MOS_REG(8) <= ADC_DATAMOS; -- dummy register ..
-- DUNNO WHAT TO DO IN - --THIS others PLEASE HELP

end case ;
end if;
end process;

</code>

in the above case , i have a set of registers to which a data coming on the line is to be written basing on the address that we recieve .
What shuld be written when others case ./???

please help /

vhdl when statement

Thanks a ton for the quick reply ,
i was able to remove the synthesis error introducing a null statement in the others case.

but ,
the problem is with the warnings :

Latch generated from process for signal DAQ_REG_6(7 downto 0), probably caused by a missing assignment in an if or case stmt.

My question to you , is this others stament synthesizable ..?

If it is null how is it synthesized.

as i m to target the same to fpga also .

case statement vhdl

O.K. I didn't realize, that the case statement isn't placed within a clock sensitive condition.

In the case statement, you assign one bit of MOS_REG and leave the others unchanged. This creates a latch anyway, the problem isn't related to the existence of an others statement. It's legal code, but most likely, it doesn't work as expected. For reliable operation, a clock sensitive condition should control the assignment, then a register rather than a latch can be synthesized.

vhdl case when

For reliable operation, a clock sensitive condition should control the assignment, then a register rather than a latch can be synthesized.

But for some data Read write operations , can we have the operation clock dependent ?

(as is the case in my above code, i am just performing read write operations on data.)

case vhdl

You could also use:

When others =>
MOS_REG<=MOS_REG;

This will help the synthesizer, but you're still going to get latches. And their outputs are probably going to bounce around.

I totally agree with FvM: Use a clock.

when statement in vhdl

Remember that VHDL is a hardware description language, not a procedural programming language.
Check which hardware is generated from your code and if it can give stable data output. In the present
case, it can't.

case in vhdl

Attention plese : FVM /others

if i put these statements in a clock sensitive condition , can i ensure that it can generate hardware whch is stable.?

I m currently using synplify , so i am not able to see what hardware it synthesizes.
can u please tell me is there anyother tool through which i can also see the synthesized hardware .
(installed PRecison RTL , awiating License .)

when statement vhdl

If you use a clocked process, and the output of the process is the input to another clocked process, it will be stable (or the tools will tell you if there's a timing error).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back