Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pnp transistor current limiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

seyyah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transistor current limiter

I'm driving a load with a pnp transistor. The current is 1A max, the voltage is 24V. I want to turn off the output above this current but i don't want to use a power resistor and do not want to use a complex circuit. Can you suggest me simple yet effective current limiting scheme for this task without using a power resistor? Thanks.

pnp current limiter

A current sense resistor is obviously needed, unless you can rely on a only roughly known transistor current gain.

A simple circuit uses Vbe of an auxilary transistor as threshold, it has to accept e.g. 0.5 V voltage drop in normal operation. More complex circuits are sensing the current by a lower valued resistor and an OP or a current mirror.

You should also consider, if simple current limiting is appropriate, cause the output transistor must be able of handling high dissipated power permanently. Bistable electronic fuses are sensitive to inrush currents and also need a reset signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back