Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need to add capacitor to parts isolated by octocoupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
isolated gnd?

Hi

If I have a circuit the have two parts and they are isolated by optocoupler.(both power and data isolated).Is it necessary to add a 1nf 1000V capacitor between two ground? is there any need to add protection device?

Regards :D

Re: isolated gnd?

If the only connection is optical you should consider them totally independent circuits and do things to them separately. The closest they should be connected is in the case of a common power supply where they both have wires running back to the supply terminals.

The two circuits should be safety grounded separately.

hi

How do this? "The two circuits should be safety grounded separately"

Assume that the two circuit get power from isolated dc/dc converters that both dc/dc converters have 24vdc inputs.

I was making some assumption about your circuits. In general they have to comply with the safety laws. If this product is battery powered there is no safety ground requirement. If it is AC mains powered there is the requirement. If they are in the same box just one safety ground connection is required.

Hello

I don't understand the sentence

"If this product is battery powered there is no safety ground requirement",

is that means for a battery powered products, grounds don't need to be isolated?

It means that the safety laws do not require the outside case of battery powered equipment be connected to earth.

Hi,

1) What is meant is circuit before and after optocoupler should be considered as separate circuits. And each behaves independent of the other. No ground should be made common between them.

2) Battery: There is no earth connexion.

BRM

Status
Not open for further replies.