Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[size=18]send images using microcontroller [/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_R

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic32 extermal ram usb

hi all,,,

i want to send images from a camera to a pic32mx360f512l microcontroller then storing them in a 100M ram but i cant figure that out ,, do i need any additional components ??????,,,,,, can any one help me ??????

i didnt decide what camera to use so any suggestion,,,,,

thanx in advance,,,

understanding images using microcontrollers

The PIC32 processors have, at maximumn, 32K of internal RAM so you'll need to add external RAM for the image storage. You didn't specify what type of interface your camera has, but in any case you likely need to add some interface circuitry.

using a mobile phon cam for microcontroller

tell me about it .... am familiar with the C programming but not much with the PICs ,,:s

Added after 17 minutes:

The PIC32 processors have, at maximumn, 32K of internal RAM so you'll need to add external RAM for the image storage. You didn't specify what type of interface your camera has, but in any case you likely need to add some interface circuitry.

am thinking of using a USB cam ,, with 640X480 pixel format ..
and am using a 200MB external RAM is it ok ??

Added after 26 minutes:

and also i read in a fourm that The PIC architecture doesn't handle large RAM spaces nor lookup tables
very efficiently. Image compression involves large chunks of memory
and, often, lookup tables.

is it right ???? is it better to use the 8051 ???

pic controller image compression

There's not a single 'PIC architecture'. Microchip has 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit processors, that all have differant architectures in regards to external memory. While I'd agree that the 8-bit and 16-bit processors don't handle external memory efficiently, the 32 bit processor you spec'd does.

Your original post doesn't mention compressing the data, and you don't give much detail on what you are trying to accomplish, so it diffcult to give you pertinent advice. It would be much more helpful if you described in some detail what you are trying to do.

send image to email through gsm modem

hey,,

thanx for replying GSM man ,,,,
i was asked to build a system that will send an image from a camera to a mobile phone ,,,,
so i thought about connecting a USB cam with the pic controller (pic32mx440f512l which can handle usb devices) ,and also connect a FIFO between them to slow down the bit stream ,,,, then after that i want to send the images to a gsm modem that will send it to the mobile phone .,,,,,,
am i on the right way ???? if not any other suggestions??????

microcontroller images

the purpose from the project is to eliminate the computer and also the net so i cant use it :(

i mean that my project should not be build using a PC or using net ,,, like i cant send images through email ,,,and as i get from u you want me to use a mobile phone that accept images through an email,,,,

When I see a posting like this it's difficult to tell if it's from a student trying to complete a class assignment, a hobbyist trying to develop something, or a professional with a project that's over their head. From the info you've given, I'd assume it's one of the former two.

In any case, your requirements are severely lacking in detail, and I have to wonder as to why you choose some of the technologies you did (PIC processor, USB interface). In any case, I won't tell you how to solve your problem; at least not for free, as that's how I make my living. But I will give you some direction and hopefully make you think about possible solutions.

First of all, connecting a USB camera to a microprocessor is a relatively difficult task. You need a uP with that acts as a USB master and you need to write a significant amount of code just to handle the USB interface. A better choice would be a camera with a I2C, or SPI interface. Most uP's have one, or both, of these interfaces built in, and there's relatively little code required for the interface driver. I'd suggest you look at www.Sparkfun.com - they typically offer a couple of differant low-cost cameras with these types of interface. There are also many other suppliers available.

You may want to consider getting a camera with a built-in JPEG encoder. I beleive that SparkFun used to sell these, I don't know if they still do. However, they are readily available. This would eliminate the need for you to handle the compression on the processor.

Lastly, you don't indicate how you intend to send the image to the cellphone - you indicate you cant use 'the net' - which I assume means the Internet. So how do you intend to send the image? GSM?

Hope this info helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back