Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending/receiving data using FT232RL and prolific

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandhu015

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai

Does any one tried FT232RL at 115200 baud rate.

FT232 works at this baud rate, iam able to send and receive data from pc to microcontroller (atmega8).

But compared to prolific it seems to be very slow.

Iam able to send 1Mbytes data in ~2minuts with prolific while FT232 is very very slower. with the same hardware

Can anybody guide me in this problem

Nandhu

ftdi vs prolific

FT232 can provide at least full througput with VCOM driver and 920kBaud, or up to 1 MByte/s with native driver. It's most likely a problem of inappropriate API interface usage at the PC side.

ftdi prolific

Thanks FVM

The software is written in VB using mscomm object.

The same is running at full speed with prolific based converter.

Yes i do feel that the driver is the problem
FTDI web site says the chip can drive upto 3Mbytes.
I had asked help from FTDI website, still now i did'nt get any reply, iam waiting for that

Can u help me to get any driver other than the one supplied by FTDI

Reagards
Nandhu

prolific usb ft232r

I'm always using FTDI drivers, but through generic windows API with C++ or Delphi. Did you try to adjust the advanced port settings for the device in system control manager? Also using the FTD2XX driver interface generally achieves higher speed than VCOM.

how to interface ft232r with 89c52

Thanks Fvm

Yes the prob im facing is because of the latency setting.

It is clearly mentioned in the application note of FTDI

There are 2 options left either change the way my micro communication or as you said.

Regards
Nandhu

ft232r и labview

A made a communication with FT232R and Atmega8 on 16MHz. On PC, there was Labview. 1Mbit/s wasn't a problem at all. And there is maximum speed 3Mbits/s and not 3Mbytes/s - that's the big difference. You must use updated d2xx drivers.

Regards.

prolific and ftdi drivers

yes, it will be working if lot of data transfered from one side to another alone. My circuit is designed to reply for each 256 bytes.

There will be problem when a single byte of data is transferred

Thanks for your reply

Regards
Nandhu

+prolific +ftdi

sir,
my project name is smoker's counselor we are using 89C52 micro controller.
it has 3 blocks 1.smoke detector 2.lcd interfacing 3.audio output.
when smoke comes it will detected by the smoke detector and a message like QUIT SMOKING will displayed in the lcd and same will come through audio output.
so here when smoke comes then only lcd is displaying message otherwise it is just neutral now i want the lcd to work for no smoking condition.
so Iam now interfacing DS1307rtc to the 89C52 so that it will display the time and calender when there is no smoke .

actually i don't know how to interface rtc the 89C52 can any one suggest me how to do this.
plz give the C code for this .

prolific vs ftdi

Hai adithyaa

Your post is nowhere connected with rs232 or prolific

why dont you post it as a new topic and every one will see.

Regards
Nandhu

Status
Not open for further replies.