Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to derive step response from frequency response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fractional-N

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
edaboard

is there any relationship between frequency response of a circuit and its time domain step response?
I mean, if in the frequency response there is a certain amount of gain peaking, does it tell us that step response of the circuit must have ringing?

Fractional-N said:
is there any relationship between frequency response of a circuit and its time domain step response?
I mean, if in the frequency response there is a certain amount of gain peaking, does it tell us that step response of the circuit must have ringing?

1.) Of course, there is a fixed relationship. However, it strongly depends on the pole and zero location of the transfer function (i.e. on its order).
Some formulas are available for a 2nd order TF.

2.) Yes, there are some graphs for a 2nd order system which connects gain peaking and overshoot in the time domain.
More than that, there is a starting value and final value theorem which give you - based on the transfer function - two values for the step reponse:
(a) The value for t=0
(b) The value for t approaching infinite.

Fractional-N

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back