Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback transformer modifying output for off the shelf part

Status
Not open for further replies.

max0412

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some flyback transformers these ones from coilcraft.

http://www.coilcraft.com/y8844.cfm

They are the Z9260-AL for 16VDC 4.2A with AUX winding for Vcc.
They were built for this design; 70W flyback with the NCP120X.

Here is the AN the transformer was designed for.

**broken link removed**

I can’t find any really data sheet on the core and what is the max current I could use it for. What I want to do is use it for 12Vdc out and at least 5A 60W versus the original 16Vdc 4.2A 70W. Does anyone know anything about these transformers or do you think it would be OK to increase the output current by 0.8A but decrease the output power by 10W.

I’ve been using the 10W transformer for a while but I need more power for driving some steppers and other devices. The 10W one I know I can get 10.5W at least with no signs of saturation the current limiting kicks in after that.

Re: Flyback transformer modifying output for off the shelf p

I suggest you to use any AT/ATX PC power supply instead. It will do the job and you 'll have at least 60 W.

A 200W to 500W PC SMPS is way over kill not to mention it’s about 5 times the size of what I can build this 60W flyback.

I was just wondering if anyone had anymore details on the transformer. They don’t have very detailed specs at coilcraft other then to say our flyback transformers work well at other frequencies and power levels then the reference design.

I’m busy now but next week I’ll build it for 12V 5A and test it out.

The 4.2Arms rating is based on temperature rise, so if you exceed it you may get a hot part (could affect the performance and life). :cry:
If you ambient temperature is low (well below 85°C) it may be OK.

If you ask Coilcraft for core information they will provide the loss vs temperature and loss vs flux density.

Status
Not open for further replies.