Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High side current sense circuit analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittware

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high side current sense circuit

Hello experts,
I'm developing a high side current sense circuit. First, I tried to use classic opamp+NPN transistor scheme. See scheme 1 in attached figure. But after I got the prototype board, I found when light loaded, V1=24V, V2=4.1V and V3=3.5V. Although, I've thought of op amp output offest, I never expected this much. What happened to this circuit? Or which mode was the NPN transistor working in? Moreover, if I switched off S1(which is ON by default), the op amp turned extremly hot. Why? The op amp is LM7301 rail-to-rail output swing(0.275~28.65V under 30 power supply) and input offset voltage Vos-max=8mV.
For the next step, I want to try another scheme (scheme 2 in the attached figure) which is proposed by Bob Pease in his EDN column.
See **broken link removed**
I am wondering if scheme 2 will work better than scheme 1.
Thanks for any hints.

Best regards,
bittware

Status
Not open for further replies.