Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS wave port sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrElec

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
waveport ads

Hi ,

How can i find the dimensions of the HFSS wave port?.
I know that it exist a calculator to do that in www.emtalk.com and for 50 Ω TL only, but i want to determine the size manually for TL feed not 50 ohm.
is there any exact rule ,i've read a HFSS doc but i'm not convinced when comparaing with results of my simulation.

help please.

thanks

hfss wave port

You can use the 50ohm port size, then choose "Solve ports only" (in solution setup), and check the results to make sure the right modes are propagating. The necessary port size does not change much when impedance changes, and "Solve ports only" is more reliable than the calculator even for 50ohm.

MrElec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hfss ports only solution

halo i am new to hfss and actualy am confused about how to size the wave port now what i do is once i have calculated the microstrip line width i use the wave port claculator at emtalk to find the wave prt dimension than i use sole port only to find Z0 appearing at the port .after this i optimize Zo at the port to 50 ohm by changint the waveport dimension after that i change the line width to get 50 ohms at wave port and the optimization is done using ports only.

the results are better but now i need opinion if the method i am using is right or not ? also how can i check in hfss that unwanted modes are not appearing at the port ???

MrElec

waveport sizing

You need to define the port so that it supports multiple modes. After simulating, check HFSS->Results->Solution Data to see if just one mode propagates. Then, you can make the port bigger, which will make it a little more accurate (captures more fringing fields) as long as no second mode appears.

"after this i optimize Zo at the port to 50 ohm by changint the waveport dimension" - if I understand correctly, you are not changing real Zo, you are just creating an error in the simulation which offsets the deviation in physical Zo for your structure. Seems like a recipe for trouble. Better to rely on mode propagation to verify the port, rather than changing the port size this way.

But really, the emtalk results should be relative accurate from the beginning. (I haven't checked them, but there is no one exact port size that you must use. Even if emtalk's size is not ideal, the error caused is probably small.)

MrElec

hfss guide book example 6.5

Hi Leaps & Shlomo22,

I agree with Shlomo22, you have to look for the propagating modes and you should not change the wave port size arbitrarily.Work out the example N° 6.5 from HFSS Guide Book ,you will understand how to find the port size and have a look to HFSS docs about this.Don't rely on emtalk calculator i've used it but with worse results.

Hope that helps.

wave port

in the solution data after simulating how can i study what modes are being produced kindly can anyone explain in simple words ?

Added after 9 minutes:

in my HFSS > RESULT > SOLUTION DATA in the matrix data section i am getting Zo at 10 GHZ is 49.9 is ths the value i need to chk ??

Pl tell how can i study what modes are being produced from matrix data? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back