Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to measure the frequency of crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebbs

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to measure crystal frequency

now the CPU works well. when I try to measure the frequency with oscillagraph,
I can not get the frequency. so why?
The frequency is 12Mhz. And the load capacitor is 12pf.

I can use the same setting of oscillagraph to measure the frequency of oscillator.

how to measure crystals

The CPU oscillation may be corrupted by the input capacitance and resistance of your oscilloscope.

You can measure frequency of pulse at any output pin that relates firmly with CPU clock, it must be very convenient to do this in case your CPU is flash then you can write the seperate program for this purpose without wasting a CPU, or plug the crystal into any seperate oscillator to measure its frequency.

measure crystal frequency

thansks for your reply. I know that some CPU has the clock output pin. So we just test if crytsal works or not.

but now i want to test the crystal frequency directly.
I have selected the 10x attenuation probe. but I still can not measure the frequency. but the cpu works....

how to measure frequency of a crystal

Hi,

Try to do what nguyennam explained or use a very low capacitive scope probe.
I hope that helps.

Samy

Status
Not open for further replies.