Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with RC Toy Transmitter/Receiver Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybean

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rc transmitter circuit

Hi:

I would like some help on the circuits for an R/C toy that I am trying to modify from 27 MHz to 49 MHz operating frequency. I have re-engineered the transmitter and emitter circuits as best as I could. I have included all the circuits below. At first I thought these were Hartley oscillator-based FM transceivers, but my research on the Web has led me to believe that these are in fact an AM transmitter and super-regenerative type receiver. Now, I am not familiar wit this type of transmission so I need a little help.

Let’s start with the transmitter circuit. This circuit runs off 4 AA cells in series to give 6V. This is an SMD board, so the only part values that I am certain of are the inductors and the resistors. The transistors show the actual markings on the parts and the packages are all SOT23 type. I am not 100 percent sure of the type (NPN, PNP, JFET, or BJT) but my in-circuit meter tests indicated NPN for all except Q4 (PNP). I tried all the online references, but still couldn’t cross them. I also tried the different combinations, and this is the circuit that made the most sense to me. Additionally, it appears similar to other reverse-engineered RC transmitters that I have seen on the Web. The capacitor values are default for the schematic program and not the actual values. I can’t remove and measure them because they are glued on (for wave soldering?). L1 &L5 represent a tapped tuning inductor with the measured value shown. C13 can be calculated from the operating frequency.

I would appreciate some feedback on the operation of the circuit. Actually, it’s only the Q2 circuit operation I am unsure of. I am assuming it’s the oscillator/amp. Q2 is an amp but might also serve as a feedback path to the oscillator. What is the role of C12? Feedback? Compensation? How about R11? Is it just for bias or part of a RC feedback network with C4? Or is C4 just filtering? Also not sure if the output filter is a pi or Tee filter. How would I optimally tune this circuit to 49 MHz. I would have to get a new inductor, because this one has been permanently set. I would also like suggestions for the capacitor value ranges.

The transmitter is a little easier because it was mostly through-hole. The components and values in this schematic are the actual ones on the circuit except for the 1uF caps (C6, C8, C10, C13, & C15) and the zener diode (D2). Again, I would like some input on the operation of this circuit as a receiver/detector. I was expecting to see a diode detector somewhere if it was AM, and I am not sure how it would act as an FM detector.

On a final note, I have developed an interest in super-regen radio circuits and I would like to learn more about them in a more formal way. I would appreciate some feedback on texts or other references have formal discussions on their theory of operation. I don’t think that this is a part of modern electronic communication curricula any more. I have found a lot of material online, which I will use, but I would much prefer texts, etc. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back