Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIR wiring - workin on motion detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzo350

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIR wiring

I'm working the the motion detector out of a basic off theshelf outdoor light. I need to remote mount the PIR, so I desoldered it from the board and attached 10" leads. The PIR now does not trigger the light. I have checked my connection numerous times, and when I resolder the sensor to the board...all is well again. Anyone have any idea why taking it off the board and attaching leads causes it to fail? I've been through about 4 boards now...this is getting expensive. Merry Christmas and thanks for the help!

I do not know what your problem can be- the PIR device is a high-impedance one, so mainly the output line must be well insulated from other lines. The following opamp has 10 MegaOhm feedback resistor, and can pick up interference which could block its correct operation!
But all PIR detector boards have a reed relay or open-transistor output, so why can't you install remotely the complete board, and run three wires to the location where you have the power supply and the other stuff?

As already said - PIR sensors are very high impedance so very susceptible to pickup. You could try to use coax.

Keith

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Just realised this thread is 7 years old!

Are you mounting the freznel lens along with it? It won't work without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back