Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotation sensor for aluminum shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Nige

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use a PIC to count the number of turns made by a shaft, then display a number calculated from this. I've got a 12V supply voltage, plus two terminals that go to +12V: one for forward, one for reverse. So I just need a way to sense the turns.

The shaft turns at about 60 rpm. It is a 125mm diameter cylinder of aluminum, with a single hole on the circumference, like this:

winch.jpg

It's on a boat, so it would have to be resistant to water.

Can anyone suggest a suitable sensor, preferably without the need to add any markings to the shaft?

try to use hall effect sensors.

take a look at this site. they have also some case explanations.

Good luck

You could use a reflective optical sensor and let it sense when the hole came round (change in contrast). Or at that speed you could even put a magnet in the hole and use a reed switch or hall effect i.c to detect. If you want to measure direction, put the 2 12vs through relays or opto isolators to give logic levels to 2 spare input ports. You should then be able to measure speed and direction with suitable software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back