Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit diagram of an electronic energy meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zire

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all!
i'm have to design an electronic energy meter as my projectthat has to display the energy KWHand also the time. but the concern is i don't have a clue where to start anyone can provide me with a circuit diagram for this?

thnx in advance

energy meter evaluation boards

see stpm01 by ST you can see AN for their circuits

energymeter(circuit diagram)

you can simply check www.enerjar.com
is a website for power meter project done by matt.

and if you have enought time for your project then you can start from scratch.
as you can see in the block diagram attached. im also undergoing the same project as
my final year project but my problem is the code bcos i need to write a C code for the UC to perform the calculation of power, energy, frequency and display the result. if you are good in the programming then contact me @ abdul_uwais2003@yahoo.com or
micromanupulator@edaboard.com

c code energy meter circuits

Dear,

Donot go any where.. if you have energy anylaiser to test the KWH etc you should go for the evaluation boards of Analog devices. ADE7754 and ADE7758 are good platform to start.

Dani

stpm01 meter

I think the site is **broken link removed**

Re: Energy meter

Thanks for your observation

Added after 3 minutes:

please can sombody explain the circuit for the enerjar? i`m not clear about Vref0

Energy meter

Please Let me . Energy Meter Design Contains various items

1. Single Phase Energy Meter (Whole Current meter)
2. Single Phase Energy Meter (PT & CT Meter)
3. Three Phase Energy Meter (PT & CT Meter)
4. Three Phase Energy Meter (Whole Current Meter or Tri Vector Meter)

Confirm yourself what u want to design

2. Single Phase power Meter

Please Let me . Energy Meter Design Contains various items

1. Single Phase Energy Meter (Whole Current meter)
2. Single Phase Energy Meter (PT & CT Meter)
3. Three Phase Energy Meter (PT & CT Meter)
4. Three Phase Energy Meter (Whole Current Meter or Tri Vector Meter)

Confirm yourself what u want to design
plz give me the code of 1. Single Phase Energy Meter (Whole Current meter)

hi ,
@ zire,
you should start by understanding the theory of electrical energy measurement .... there is a lot of theory on the internet starting with Wikipedia..... anyway briefly : electrical energy is the POWER produced or consumed in TIME ..... So basically you need to measure power and time of the "power flow" in the circuit .......... In DC to get power P you multiply voltage V and current A . In AC things get a little complicated because there are 3 types of power : aparent power S=UxI [VA] ; active power : P=UxIx cos fi [W] ; reactive power: Q= UxIx sin fi [VAR] , where fi is the angle between current and voltage (in DC fi=0 ; cos 0= 1 and sin 0=0.....) .........(hope not to boring)....... You mentioned kWh which is active energy so you need to measure instantaneous active power P and than integrate it in time . For this a microcontroller is very suitable because it can have ADC module and can communicate with LCD to display data, or communicate with other digital equipment . Regarding the hardware, you need a circuit to interface the microcontroller (your measuring device) with the circuit to be measured () . This kind of interface circuit need's to provide on it's output signals proportional with the measured values from it's input but with the electrical parameters accepted by the microcontroler's input pin (specified in datasheet) . Also isolation is required when working with 110 or 220 ac mains .........
If you have any questions ask , that's what this forum is for ... :wink:

@zsolt .Thanks you gave a great idea for the energy meter,but I need a help from you,for my FYP I need to find a energy meter IC,ADE series there are lot of varieties ,I don't know how to choose correct one.And also i need what is the PIC i need to get that support that energy meter IC.

If you plan to use ADE board's from analog devices you do not have to trouble with the hardware .... and demo software is available to. To choose the best one that fits your needs you have to establish some things from the beginning, like :
-will you do single phase or 3 phase measurements?
-which is the maximum current and voltage to be measured ?
-
After knowing what you need , you can pass thro several datasheets from analog devices and get the right one
Good luck

Ps PIC is a microcontroler family from Microchip

Last edited:
I am gng to do single phase,Max volt-230V ,Max Current -30A, does ADE7753 is suitable for my project.
and same as will PIC16FXXX will support to this ADE7753?

Can you send me the code and the circuit diagram please.
my mail is "kwdckperera@gmail.com"

- - - Updated - - -

I have just finished a meter using a ADE7753.

Have a look at https://www.analog.com/en/analog-to...rgy-measurement/ADE7753/products/product.html

Have Fun

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
Would you please send me the circuit diagram of your energy meter using ADE7753. I am also using ade 7753 for energy monitoring. please send the ckt diagram and c program code.
My email id is "aravindmgcee@gmail.com"
With regards
Aravind

Did anyone get the circuit diagram and code for the ADE7753 ,Please send to my mail vignoban_7@yahoo.com
And what is the current sensor we can use for energy meter. or send me the e bay link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back