Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor for continouous motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

engkeat

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my device helps to perform elbow continuous passive motion exercise. may i have the idea from you guys what type of motor is suitable to be used? the motor used must be low noise, can withstand continuous motion for hours without dissipated much power (hot), adjustable angle range. initially i plan to use stepper motor but i heard that stepper motor will dissipate a lot of energy if used for long period, any idea from you?

What about a simple ac induction motor?

Nandhu

Stepper is ideal for withstand continuous motion. U also can try Servo Motor.

The question can't be answered without knowing the application parameters (rotational speed, torque, acceleration profile, acceptable size). Generally, DC motors (conventional or brushless) can be expected to give the highest effiency and specific power. From your description (e. g. adjustable angle range), I expect that your actually needing a drive with a gear rather than a simple motor.

Also a conventional DC motor can be operated continously for hours, but it has a limited total lifetime of some 1000 hours, while brushless DC or stepper and AC motors have a life expectancy of many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back