Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to drive IGBT for Digital Motor Control (DSP 3.3V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonatan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does someone know How to drive IGBT for Digital Motor Control using 3.3V DSP Output?

Some IGBT circuit drivers require a 15V CMOS input level;

I´m interested in the circuit needed to interface the DSP to such drivers.

Thanks in advance...

Most devices of power like MOSFETS, IGBTs... uses drivers for their control. I am using the IR2104 for the MOSFETS control. Surely in www.irf.com you find what you look for.

Regards!

Thanks kkdelabaca...

I will try your suggestions....

But actually, I’m interested in a circuit drive using only discrete components (Optos, Transistors, R,etc) without specific ICS

no problem with descrete components either. some simple consideration for motor control you must decide if you want the motor to turn in only one direction, or in both.

for one direction, build a half bridge. for 2 direction build a full H-bridge. you can search google to see schematic for both types of drives.

to interface between DSP and igbt you should use an opto-coupler. that way, you can have DSP control the low power side of opto while the other *isolated* side controls the IGBT (turn on at 15v). depending on how expensive or noisy your system is, you might consider driving the IGBTs off to negative 5 or negative 10v (instead of ground). but this is more complicated and not always necessary.

another point to remember is that with motor control you often have High side switching. this means that the device on the "high side" does not reference to ground. it references to a floating node... thus your drive signal must not reference to ground, but to the same floating node. this is where high frequency transformers come in handy, or charge pumps. google is a great source on this subject.

goodluck

Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back