Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1mx1m Copper Tube Antenna for read range of 1 meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie007

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
so i have made a copper tube antenna that has dimensions of 1m x 1m with a thickness of an inch. The antenna is tuned for 13.56Mhz i know it works because i used a spectrum analyzer and it detects the antenna. What i want to know is. with this antenna design, am i able to achieve a 1 meter read range with passive RFID tags ?

I'm thinking i need to input at least 8 watts of power to the antenna.

thanks.

The power is limited by the spectrum regulations, and I think 8W is way too much.
This kind of magnetic antenna is used by radioamateurs not having enough space for a full size antenna. l remember in radioamateur handbooks it said it's not safe to stay near a magnetic antenna during tranmission - at least a few meters.

The antenna appnotes for magnetic antennas say distance=coil radius and this is true for usual size centimeters.
However this is true because the antenna and card/transponder size are quite compatible and the coupling is good. The card is much smaller than 1m, so in this case the coupling may be inefficient, only a small part of the energy will intersect the card. Also the effect of the card modulation would be hard to observe on the powerfull antenna signal - the receiver coupling is problematic because of high power.

well. i'm unable to achieve 8 watts of power. my main concern now is getting the proper impedance matching with the transmitter and antenna.

What size tag your trying to detect? I mean the tag antenna dimension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back