Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused on floating terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

yann_sun

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
it seems very popular using MOS with one of its terminal floating in circuit layout, as i know. In most cases, taking PMOS as an example, Source terminal of PMOS is connected to VDD, VGate is located at some potential, and Drain terminal floats without any connection. The device appears in IO, core, ESD or anyplace of the chip.

One of my question is why not connecting together D and S terminals of PMOS by some potential or kept both floating, if its function is to back up for IC fix(FIB etc) or serve as a capacitor . If not, what the device with one of its terminals floating is used for?

If it is for possible future design change better to keep source-drain disconnected. If they connected you have to change one more layer to disconnect them.
For example, you can make a change by VIA and Me2 layers, but because source drain is shorted by Me1 you have to change Me1 also.
From another point of view I don't see any advantages if they will be connected.

Fom said:
If it is for possible future design change better to keep source-drain disconnected. If they connected you have to change one more layer to disconnect them.
For example, you can make a change by VIA and Me2 layers, but because source drain is shorted by Me1 you have to change Me1 also.
From another point of view I don't see any advantages if they will be connected.

If terminal drain floats, does it mean Vdrain is not determined? I am not sure about the possibility of latchup occurrence.

It will be vds=0 at such case, as there is weak DC path, this is not a real floating terminal case. However, gate floading may lead circuit to unknow state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back