Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D step models for Altium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

difflvl

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
step model editor

Hi,

Does anyone have a source or a link to a website that has 3d models for common components for use with Altium Designer?

Thanks

step models

Thanks HouseCat already found that one, do you know of any other sites?

pcb legacy 3d

Some manufacturers have step models for their products, but it's hit and miss. I would take a look at the web sites for the parts you are using.

For example- 3M, Samtec, and Tyco have models for many of their connectors. Likewise with some special filters, transformers, etc. You just need to look at the manufacturer's website.

Recognize that with the latest version of AD you don't need step models. You can very easily build 3D components in the library editor using extruded blocks, cylinders, and spheres. Versions 6.8-6.9 are somewhat more limited in the choices for building component bodies than the new Summer 08 version, but it's still not hard to make pretty good 3D bodies.

difflvl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
step model 3d

Maybe because my poor english, I can't manage placing 3D bodies onto a footprint. There are some detalied support for this job?

.step models

jazzz said:
Maybe because my poor english, I can't manage placing 3D bodies onto a footprint. There are some detalied support for this job?
What version of AD are you trying to use?

3d step editor

ADSummer08

step models components

jazzz said:
ADSummer08
In ADS08, putting a step model into a library component is done by simply opening the library editor, going to the component, and then using Place>>3D body. At the top of the popup dialog is a checkbox asking what type of body you want to add. You can embed or link 3D models in STEP format instead of using the simpler extruded component bodies.

If you choose "extruded" you enter the color, layer, height, and height above the board. When you hit "OK", you are returned to the Editor screen with the drawing tool on the cursor - just draw the outline of the body you want. When you finish, you're taken back to the dialog to choose another piece of the body to make, or to quit and save.

There's an old video that shows how to make a body in AD6, it still works the same, but there are more features now in ADS08. Take a look at the video at :
https://videos.altium.com/trainingcenter/player.html?ep=1041 .

Note that to view the 3D models, you have to have a video card capable of processing DirectX 9.0c and Shader Level 3. To view the 3D model, you hit "3" when in the Library or PCB Editor, then hit "L" and check the boxes for which type of 3D display you want. To go back to 2D display you hit "2".

3d models in altium

Thank you for the reply.
House_Cat said:
Note that to view the 3D models, you have to have a video card capable of processing DirectX 9.0c and Shader Level 3. To view the 3D model, you hit "3" when in the Library or PCB Editor, then hit "L" and check the boxes for which type of 3D display you want. To go back to 2D display you hit "2".
That's my problem. My PC does not support DirectX 9.0c and Shader Level 3, so "3" and "2" shortcuts have no effect. My only chance to reveal the results is to use Lagacy tools> Legacy 3D view in PCB editor, after passing the steps that you described and save the library. But I always have the same shape - a rectangular - and the same colour - grey.

legacy-3d-view

jazzz said:
My PC does not support DirectX 9.0c and Shader Level 3, so "3" and "2" shortcuts have no effect. My only chance to reveal the results is to use Lagacy tools> Legacy 3D view in PCB editor, after passing the steps that you described and save the library. But I always have the same shape - a rectangular - and the same colour - grey.

If your graphics card doesn't support DirectX and Shader Level 3, then you can't use the new 3D display at all. You will have to attach a 3D model to your schematic symbol as earlier versions of DXP and AD allowed - that's what "legacy" means. You go into the properties for your schematic symbol, and add the 3D model. When you update the PCB from the schematic, the model will be attached to your PCB footprint, and you'll be able to use the legacy 3D view to see your board with the model for that footprint. If you don't attach a model, AD will use the component body to make a model, but it won't have the advanced features.

altium designer 3d component body

Hello,

We have started using AD summer 09 . Our aim is to check conflict of components with enclosure in McAD software Solid Edge.(don't want to do mech.guy's job.)
If I use extruded 3-d body (solid) & save the file as step file.& open it in solid-edge it is hollw i.e only surface . Due to which it doesn't show conflict with enclosure in solid edge.If I use generic step model as 3d body , It shows perfect. I want to is it possible to convert extruded 3d in solid while transferring to step file.

Thanks

step models editor

Hi friends
I want to learn Altium designer...
Anyone Can help me????

WikiComponets.com is a new web site just opening up for Beta testing. It is designed to be an open source of electronic component data. Almost any part can be built using a simple parametric entry process and then they can be downloaded in a multitude of 3D or 2D formats. You should take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back