Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMA input port for CPW monopole antenna in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwokhinglai

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss sma model

I am simulating a WiMax antenn in CPW monopole style for FYP.

Unfortunately, when I set the input port for SMA connector, there are some problems ......

1. Should I draw a SMA connector in the simulation ? If yes, hoassig the material and connection properly ? (I have tried this method but fail to do that ...)

2. Or just draw two plane between the central feed line and the right and left groun coating ? If yes, can you give some hints to me ? (I also have triedit but the S-parameter plot is not good ......)

Thanks fr your opinion ! :D

sma cpw

Dear All,

I have performed the HFSS simulation for that again and drawN down my two enquiries as shown as the attached PDF file. Hope that some experienced RF guys can help me for removing this obstacle.

~ Thanks ! :D

RS: If anyone is willing to discuss with me, I can do that through email.

sma cpw connector

Try toi use two cylinder coaxial, the inner is by metal, the outer is metal too (for ex pec condition), the inner connect to the patch, the outer connect to GP, WP at one head, 50 Ohm request.

Added after 37 seconds:

cuongtran said:
Try toi use two cylinder coaxial, the inner is by metal, the outer is metal too (for ex pec condition), the inner connect to the patch, the outer connect to GP, WP at one head, 50 Ohm request.

at the middle i use tflon

monopol aus sma

Can you explain more about the meaning of "connecting" ?

As shown as my new attached PDF file, when I draw two cylinders (inner and outer are assigned to pec material) to just touch the Strip Line and Ground areas, the S-parameter plot is terrible and meaningfulness ......

If I try to adjust the inner and outer cylinders to across the Strip Line and Ground areas, there are errors from the Validate function ...... it inform me that the coaxial cylinders cannot intersect with Strip Line and Ground areas ......

sma hfss simulation

I took a brief look at your figure and the basic idea looks reasonable. My first guess is that the objects actually do intersect as the error messages reflect. A hack fix is to subtract one of the offending objects from the other to remove the problem.

A more wholesome technique is to draw them very carefully so they do not intersect in the first place.

Expand your view if the region where they may intersect and turn off the visibility or objects that are not in question. You may be able to see the problem.

data sheet of sma connector for cpw

Hi,
It is sure that you have a problem with your waveport setup,
I see that the first case in your file 0626 is good, the second is wrong coz intersected.
The important thing is that I think you 're wrong when your radiation box covered your cylinder, you have to take/move the cylinder "out of the radiation box" coz at that case, hfss will be able to understand your outer cylinder like a pec..*

ps you can see the smith chart for verifying your SC or OC
good luck.

hfss monopole

I am now uploading a .hfss file, where the LumpPort design is suggested by a tutorial document. However, the simulation result get worse than before ......

Is there any place I have made a serious mistake ? Thanks !

(PS: This problem has made me crazy, because my FYP has not gone ahead for 2 weeks.)

hfss monopole antenna edaboard cpw

hi kwokhinglai!!
The design of the file "LumpPort for CPW.rar" has a badly mistake, that is the "air objects" is no boundary exist. You have to set the air becoming assign boundary > Raidation. And, run it. That will be ok.

you port sma

Hello All,

Does anyone can upload their .hfss file about the CPW (with Lump Port setting) for reference ?

Thanks a lot,

kwokhinglai

sma model in hfss

Can anyone has related .hfss file ?

Thanks!

sma cpw

here you can find a complete model of an sma connector for pcb.
Hope it will be usefull!

bye to all

Reactions: dilekkapusuz

dilekkapusuz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sma coax cpw

Dear on1 and All,

Where is the mistake in my attached file ? I still cannot get the desired plot graph ......

Thanks and best regards, kwokhinglai

connector cpw

SMA-KFD78 is modeled in the file. But I am not sure whether it reflect the actual SMA-KFD78, maybe some information about the cross section about this component is helpful. Anyone could help me?

hfss sma

Hello, all the models of SMA that i saw here has an internal conductor with constant diameter, but the datasheet of the SMA Jhonson Connectors says that the inner pin has a tappered diameter to improve match impedance. I think that may be why are not working as expected, and that information is not provided for Jhonson.

Re: sma cpw

here you can find a complete model of an sma connector for pcb.
Hope it will be usefull!

bye to all

Great on1 but we'd love to know how to excite it. it's part of our problem.
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back