Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VLSI Job situation in USA from A fresh Masters student

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmangShah

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ms in vlsi in usa

Hi All,
I joined this site recently.
I will be graduating from India this year with a degree in ECE. I have appied for my masters in VLSI in USA and have got an admit from Carnegei Mellon University. I have read all of your comments and have really got discouraged a lot.
1) Anyways i still cannot stop my self from asking that am i taking a right decision to Go to USA for my Masters?
2) Also can i hope that the situation will improve in about 2 years(The time in which i will be completing my Masters) time form now?
3) Also if i do consider to take VLSI in what field of it must i specialize in University so that getting a job without any work experience is a bit easy then you all are mentioning?
Please help and guide me....
I will be highly thankful...

masters in vlsi

Hey Umang,
I am a student too, doing my TE, E&tc engg from Pune Univ.
Its great to hear that you got admit from CMU in vlsi design ..
Congratulations !

I would be giving my GRE this Sep, Acads are great.. but no publications and research work..

can you please share your profile and also give some tips .. :) Thanks in advance..

job situation in usa

Hi,
I think VLSI is a very exciting field to be in. As someone who's been working in the industry for 7 years I would like to tell you a few things:
a) If possible then check your options. Within VLSI there are several categories and sub categories. See what is that which works best for you -- you may try a career in analog design, hi speed communication, eda developer, cad engineer etc. Every profession is different from the other.
b) Are you fixated on working in the USA only? I don't know about design but as far as EDA tools are concerned India is doing good in development. Of course, if you choose only USA then maybe someone else from the forum would be able to guide you. But if you are interested in India, let me know. Maybe I could share some pointers with you.

i ve 2+ years in FPGA prototyping and RTL development... I am thinking of a job or masters abroad.. im confused.. can anyone clear it out some...

i want to know about the opportunities of vlsi design in india.

i want to know if anybody know please reply

VLSI is a very broad term to use....

Typically you could work in

1) ASIC Design ( Verilog )
2) Verification ( Synthesis, and later )
3) Analog Engineer RF
4) Circuit Design ( HSPICE)
5)Component Design
6) Product Development
7) Quality Reliability Assurance and Testing(c, C++, Shell scrpting, Perl)

For all these, you would require basic mosfet understanding. The job scenario is not bad, its getting better. But most jobs require experience. Carnegie Mellon is a good university with good VLSI related programs, so it should be fine.

Hi Vikramgrao,

I am a gradaute student in VLSI. Recently I got a job in a company as a Post-Silicon Qualification Intern. What do you think will be the scope of post silicon characterization and kind of silicon testing? I am interested more in design and am also not sure if there will be good opportunities in the future if I start in silicon testing field. Please could you suggest me if I should go for the intern or wait until I get some design oriented job. Also if you know, could be tell me what will be the future opportunities be like in Silicon Characterization...

Never be hopeless. No matter what you do, you will get what you are destined.
There are lots of opportunities for new grads and young talent. Carnegie Mellon is a good school, you should not worry about getting a job. You will be picked up even before you get your degree. When you are at school, you can discuss your interest with your friends, advisor, and study material.

Do come for M.S. Indians are very good at supporting their fellow countrymen. They can advise you, train you, even they can even get you hired; trust me. They have a very good network. So don’t worry about the job at time, focus on getting M.S.

Re: ms in vlsi in usa

Hi umang,
Its very nice that u got admitted to the Carnegie Mellon university one of the best universities for VLSI,I am having 3+years exp in IT and looking forward for MS in VLSI can you please let me know your GRE and TOEFL scores.How about the academics?How much they are accepting?do they give preference to me having 3+yrs IT exp.did u got any financial aid.

Re: job situation in usa

Hi,
I think VLSI is a very exciting field to be in. As someone who's been working in the industry for 7 years I would like to tell you a few things:
a) If possible then check your options. Within VLSI there are several categories and sub categories. See what is that which works best for you -- you may try a career in analog design, hi speed communication, eda developer, cad engineer etc. Every profession is different from the other.
b) Are you fixated on working in the USA only? I don't know about design but as far as EDA tools are concerned India is doing good in development. Of course, if you choose only USA then maybe someone else from the forum would be able to guide you. But if you are interested in India, let me know. Maybe I could share some pointers with you.
Sir,
I have completed my BE in ETC field. I'm plaaning to get a masters degree in vlsi. Which field in vlsi should i be aiming for to get a good job in India. And is MS degree from US or UK valued in india the same way as an M.tech degree from a good college in India??
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.