Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to enable the pull up resistor in Quartus2 using cpld

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwq1999

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
weak_pull_up_resistor altera

hi ,all
i want to let one output pin to have an initial state of logic 1, pls tell me how to enable the pull up resistor in Quartus2 using cpld epm240, thanks in advance!

Re: how to enable the pull up resistor in Quartus2 using cpl

Output state wouldn't be set through a weak-pull resistor, this has an effect only for input or bidir pins (also open-drain, of course). Weak pull-up can be enabled in Pin Planner tool (with newer Quartus versions) or in assignment editor, also for group of pins with wildcard pingroup* syntax. As nearly everything you may need to know regarding the tool, the prodecure is documented in the pdf Handbook.

This is the assignment syntax in Assignment editor
To=MyPin
Assignment Name=Pull-Up Resistor
Value=On
Enabled=Yes

Respectively as Tcl command (as shown in qsf file)
set_instance_assignment -name WEAK_PULL_UP_RESISTOR ON -to MyPin

thank you, FvM !
but i use quartus2 version7.2, i can not find what you have descripted above, but i find something from the help of quartus2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Buffer primitives allow you to do the following:

Make a location assignment

Make an I/O standard assignment

Make a drive strength (current strength) assignment

Make a slow slew rate assignment

Enable bus-hold circuitry

Enable a weak pull-up resistor

Make an on-chip termination assignment to a bidirectional pin from a lower-level entity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Add the library and use clauses before the design unit declaration
library altera;
use altera.altera_primitives_components.all;
-- Instantiating ALT_OUTBUF
<instance_name> : ALT_OUTBUF
generic map (
IO_STANDARD => "LVDS",
LOCATION => "IOBANK_2A",
CURRENT_STRENGTH => "minimum current",
ENABLE_BUS_HOLD => "off",
WEAK_PULL_UP_RESISTOR => "off"
)
port map ( i => <data_in>, o => <data_out>); -- <data_out> must be declared as an output pin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
and it seems the output pin can use the weak-Pull-up-resistor, do i get the right meaning of this help file ? and if i use the feature of weak-Pull-up-resistor, i must instantiate an instance ? is there any easy operation about it available ?

I was talking of Assignment Editor! Did you try to make an assignment there as I suggested? If not, just try. If you have a newer Quartus version with Pin Planner tool, assignment is also easy there.

Apart from that, there are other options too, and you will probably find it, also a lot of other information, that doesn't apply to your CPLD device, e. g. most of the stuff you posted above. I'm not motivated to comment other, complicated methods and to discuss the possible errors implied there, when a simple and obvious method exist.

pwq1999

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks so much, FvM! ,
i now get your meaning and find the method you mentioned above.

last time i open the Assignment Editor tool,and in the Category, i have select item "pin",so i can not find what you described ,and i miss it. now i recheck it again, i find it.

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back