Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why we use high resolution accumulator in Xilinx DDS (NCO)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzomor

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to use xilinx dds

Hi

My question is about the Xilinx DDS
you can find it's details in this link
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/dds_ds558.pdf
my question is:
A hi resolution phase accumulator is used and then the phase is Quantized to low resolution before using it for the sine look up table,
Why We use high resolution Accumulator and then quantize it to low resolution?
why don't use a low resolution accumulator?

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

dds+xilinx+output

A high resolution accumulator gives you very precise frequency control. A low resolution accumulator would give you coarse frequency steps.

The low resolution output to the sine ROM lets you use a relatively small inexpensive ROM, such as a Block RAM.

Re: Xilinx DDS (NCO)

Thanks echo47

Your answer is clear ,
but to rephrase my question
Didn't we lose the high resolution of the high resolution accumulator- which gives us very precise frequency control- when we quantize it down to low resolution output after the quantizer?

as the quantizer output is what's used to address the lookup table?

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

Xilinx DDS (NCO)

You still get the same very precise frequency control even if you connect only some of the phase accumulator bits to the sine ROM. The phase accumulation process determines the frequency, and that's unaffected by how many of its bits you connect to the sine ROM.

alzomor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back