Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coarse grain test benchs for FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint202

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

i am looking for some coarse grain test benchs written in VHDL which can be eventually implemented on the coarse grain FPGAs any ideas about that or suggestions or help will be highly appreciated

I don't know about such test benches, but do any coarse grain FPGAs exist?

well i will say that yes there exist coarse grain FPGAs like latest versions of xilinx , altera , they usually come with multipliers and other coarse grain components...that are helpful in implementing DSP related functions on FPGAs... because otherwise implementing DSP functions on fine grain FPGAs will take a lot of logic resources and is not feasible at all...

That's a somewhat different description of "coarse grain" than what I've read. Most references suggest that Xilinx and A.ltera FPGAs are basically fine grain devices because their logic fabric is bit-level configurable, whereas coarse grain devices would be word-level configurable. Yes, the multipliers, block RAMs, and other large features in modern FPGAs could be considered coarse grain, but those are relatively sparse features. Most of the FPGA logic fabric is still fine grain.

Instead of discussing the fuzzy terms "coarse grain" and "fine grain", can you describe what types of test benches you wish to see? And do you really mean "test benches", because test benches are typically used only during simulation, and are not implemented in the target hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back