Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF simulation of conductor surface roughness

Status
Not open for further replies.

myem

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Due to plating process , the conductor surface roughness is not smooth.
So I want to simulate the RF performance of conductor surface roughnes.
What tools can do it , ADS or HFSS ?

THANKS VERY MUCH

Hello myem,

Rough:
Metal surface roughness. This is the rms deviation of the
conductor surface from a plane. A rough surface increases losses in the line.

I think you can use APLAC tools to do this analysis, here are some of the articles
Stripline Simulation Models with Conductor Surface Roughness
**broken link removed**
www.aplac.hut.fi/publications/dt-sunde/sundstrom_thesis.pdf

Also some good online calculators are available...
http://mcalc.sourceforge.net/

of course any 3D EM tools ...

---manju---

In HFSS impedance boundary can be used to simulate the surface roughness effect in conductors.

Hello
I know ADS tline model has roughness parameter.
You need setup surface impedance in em tool (like momentum) to take into account roughness
If You want simulate surface current distribution -You need 3D solver and draw complicated geometry first...

You don't say where in the frequency band you are working. That is a fundamental issue.

HFSS might be able to give you some information but I suspect that it would require a very detailed model (e.g. Buckets of RAM to even run). To be more specific: HFSS can but it might not make sense to attempt the model in the first place.

Faced with this (vague) question I would be more inclined to speak with the technical support people at Rogers to see if they have test data and guidance that would be of use. I am suggesting that a simulator may not be the best path to a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back