Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

heatgun,surface mount tweasers, surface mount components

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when im using the heatgun to lift up surface mount components i either BURN the PC board or the traces pads get lifted up

What am i doing wrong and how can i protect it more

When using the heatgun to lift up a surface mount cap or resistor , they are so close or next to IC chip pins, how do you use the heatgun to it just gets the BAD resistor lifted out without melting the IC pins ? are there any heatgun attachements for the heatgun nose to be more narrow?

How do u guys know if the heatgun is to HOT or with to much AIR so it burns the board or lifts pads up?

How did u guys practice with surface mount or FIne point IC chips pins ?

How do you make a solder baths when removing fine point IC chips or connectors
why would i use a solder bath VS a heat gun?

What other techniques do you guys know about when dealing with surface mount or Fine point IC pins ? how to solder them and how to remove them techniques please?

it all depends on the type of board material you are working on and practice
never hurruy on the job
see this

Added after 17 minutes:

or this
and
this

do you guys know any other videos like this they show your and teach you?

Smaller heat gun nozzle might help. Adjust the temp to be around 270C, or if it's cannot be adjust, the solder should be melted first before the board burns.

Lifted pad can be cause by excessive force when you pull the component while the solder hasn't melt completely, or the PCB quality is very very terrible so the heat can destroy the pad.

Protect other surrounding component with aluminum foil. Or in some other super difficult case, place damp tissue paper on top of the IC next to the component that you want to remove and than place aluminum foil...after that, use heat gun and wala! the other components temp is lower so it would not melt.

Ya the heat gun is melting the IC's , plastic jacks, plastic VGA connectors how can i prevent this ?

I was thinking about using some type of flexible"metal shielding"?

i also want to know it more, i am new to practical things :)

hi

the heat gun nozzle will be having different tips. u can use the smallest tip.
keep the temperature low and always try to focus the hot air blow straight to the
point.

don't use force while removing the component with tweasers. if u do that definitely it is going to get ur pads out. If the solder melts properly, the component will come very freely.

I prefer taking down with solder iron instead of using heat gun. coz, solder iron will be having very fine tip.

one important thing is try to melt the solder on both sides of the component, if it is a resistor, capacitor etc.
if it is a chip, u have to constantly move the heat gun over the area. usually the vaccuum blow up will be used to take out ICs.

if this info. is helpful click on 'helped me'

cheers
skr

walters

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
there is alot of VGA connectors that are plastic and audio jacks that are plastic and they get melted alot when i use the hot air gun because 14 pin chips or 30 pin chips will be very close to them so its hard not to MELT the connectors or jacks that are plastic what can i do please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back