Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

input data to fpga....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcdeepak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
initializing input in fpga

i wrote a vhdl code for my project..now it should be dumped onto fpga
the input is 256 bytes of each 8 bits
so how should i give that input to fpga???

Are those 256 bytes coming from an external device such as an ADC? Or are they simply a table of fixed numbers? Or something else?

One way to do that, you could create an initialized array of registers in your VHDL, and the data will be stored in the FPGA's internal memory like a ROM. If you are using Xilinx, there's sample VHDL code in the XST User Guide section "Initializing RAM Directly in HDL Code".

Depending on which tools you are using, other methods may be available to initialize a memory array.

i would like to give the input from outside the kit. i have the RS codeword, but to generate the 255 byte codeword in hardware and to pass one byte in one clockcycle to the FPGA is where i am facing the problem. also where can i check the output? the lcd or the led is not an option because the speed will be really high. can i generate the necessary bytes in a pc and then pass it on to the kit ( which port?) and then again collect the output bytes in the pc?
really thankful to you for helping me out
bc deepak

You can use RS232 port (I hope it is available on board)for sending the data to FPGA from PC via Hyperterminal.
UART will be needed for serial communication
You can also verify the contents by echoing back the send characters.

Hi,

If the data is generated already, you can create a MIF(Memory Initialilsation File) of size 256 X 8, and copy the content onto that MIF. You can access this MIF as a Memory file in your design.

If you need more details, contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.