Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to send data to a serial printer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narithota

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

How to send data to the serial printer to print the data.

Wither it is similar to the HyperTerminal, what ever data I displayed on the

HyperTerminal, Can I Print on the serial printer using 89c51

how to send data on to the serial printer

Thank you

Regards

nari

Re: serial printer

Hi,
Yes, it would work almost the same way for simple serial printers.But, depending upon the printer, you may have to send some control charcters to the printer to position the head at known locations etc, and the printer may send back some error codes which may have to be checked before sending further data. Also, since the printer is a slow device, you have to use some kind of data flow control mechanisms to match the print speed with your device speed. But, with most of the modern printers, lot of printer specific charcteristics are stored their device drivers and with such printers, direct printing would not be that easy.
Regards,
Laktronics

serial printer

Thanks for reply

I want use Wipro WeP LX 800 DX printer.

How to send data from 89c51 to the Printer

Wither it possible to send the data from microcontroller to printer, because Printer

is Compatible with PC.

Regards

nari

serial printer

I recommend you first of all try HyperTerminal or similar program. Build up Serial cable and print how you printer is set. Obviously push main button, hold it and power on. Still hold the button. Approximately after 2 seconds, printer starts the setup printing.
Read baud rate, data length, flow control,...

The same parameters set in HyperTerminal and try to send some printable characters("U"). Finally send 0Dh and 0Ah (it is CR and LF).

If you cable and serial port is ok, the printer prints.

Next step, change hyperteminal to you app.

Good luck

b

Status
Not open for further replies.