Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40-pin PIC18F4550 programming with ICSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
icsp pic18f

Hello, how is it better to connect ICSP to my PIC18F4550 for programming?
i know that the connection should be:

ICSP--------------->PIC18F4550
======================
1 -------------> MCLR
2 -------------> VDD
3 -------------> VSS
4 -------------> RB7
5 -------------> RB6
6 -------------> RB5 (PGD), Not needed

question is.. as i have 40 pin chip, i have two VDDs and two VSSs. Do i have to connect ICSP pin 2,3 to both of the VDDs and VSSs or NO?

what else i must connect to VDD and VSS pins?

pic18f452 icsp

Hi,
If it is true ICSP, anyhow you would have connected these pins on your board. Even otherwise, it is advised to short them, since the programming is supposed to be in the actual working environment of the chip. By the way what is RB5 used for? Some of the chips, or may be all, require RB3 to be driven to Vdd to enter low voltage programming mode and this pin is reserved if low voltage programming mode is enabled.
Regards,
Laktronics

icsp pic18f4550

so i need to short VDD and VSS? connect Capacitor between them or? and do i have to connect pins 2,3 to both of the chip's VDD and VSS?

pic18f4550 icsp

Hi,
No, do not short Vdd and Vss. Short the two Vdd pins and connect to pin 2 of the ISP connector. Similarly also short the two Vss pins and connect to pin 3 of the ISP connector. You should also connect capacitors, crystal and reset circuits on the board as required in your normal application. The programmer supplier should indicate the type of reset circuit to be put on the board, so that it can work along with the reset signal generated by the programmer. For a typical user board connection using an ISP cable along with IC-Prog software visit this site. Since this cable generates Vdd using RS232 signal, it may have limitations in working with all systems and all environments.
Regards,
Laktronics

BlackOps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
programming pic18f4550

do i have to connect capacitor between VDD and VSS also? if yes, which exactly?

pic18f icsp

1. connect Vdd1 and Vdd2 and connect them to the +5V
2. interconnect Vss1 and Vss2, connect them to 5V common return.
3. you may connect one 10uF capacitor with +ve to Vdd and -ve to 5V return.

Had you studied the datasheet for a while, you would learn a lot instead of post and wait , if you don't offend.

Sarma

pic18f2550 icsp

yes. they didnt say about pins during ICSP. but i know it now, so. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.