Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement of rheostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilatatineni

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to replace a rheostat of 30Ω, 20W with a smaller component inorder to reduce the place in my circuit. So, please suggest me a component which is equal to it and it should reduce the size of my circuit.

It would be helpful if you provided more information such as what type of circuit the rheostat is being used in and what the rheostat is controlling. I have to assume the rating is 20 watts due to the power being dissipated. You can't simply replace it with a unit having a lower rating unless you can show that the 20 watts i s overkill. However, assuming a 20 watts is the required rating, you may be able to reduce its size by replacing it with a fixed resistor and a lower ohm rheostat. This is possible if the full range of the rheostat is not being used. For example, if you replace it with a 15 ohm fixed resistor and a 15 ohm rheostat, then the maximum power in the rheostat is now only 10 watts. Thus you can use a smaller unit. However, the downside is that the variation in resistance would now only be from 15 to 30 ohms instead of 0 to 30 ohms. This may be acceptable depending on the actual circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.