Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate ring oscillator with 3 inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapilsn

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have designed a simple ring oscillator with 3 inverters.how do I simulate it so that it oscillates?

Ring oscillator

Hi,
Did you respect the 1/k rule when sizing the transistors ?

Re: Ring oscillator

If u r taking about the rule to make the transconductance of PMOS and NMOS equal then I have taken care of the rule.

you can simulate the open loop ac gain of the delay cell chain, and find wether it is large enough for start-up.
a simpler method is set the running step of tran small enough--less 1/10 period, and the noise of the numerical computation in simulator will make it oscillate. this noise is usually much less then the physical noise, so it can start-up in reality

if you are using cadence then in the simulation you will have an option ro make the nodes to converge to a value to start to the circuit. It will be under intitial conditions option which should help u start the circuit.

Dear Friend Please let us know with which simulator you are going to simulate it?? If you you Hspice you should use .Ic (Node) 0.8V for example. Or with any simulator plz add a voltage for an impulse to a node so that it will start oscillating. Good Luck.

Ring oscillator

do care size of width and length and supply

Ring oscillator

I think five inverters form is better

Without any perturbation, the ring resonator will not oscillate in transient simulation. Therefore you should add a short duration of current pulse to one of oscillator nodes to start up the oscillator.

You should "kick" it with a pulsed current of very small value.

But there's a chance that your gain is so low and your delay
so small, that the thing will prefer to settle to DC-null or have
a very small signal oscillation. If you are looking for full-scale
oscillation you may need to deal with that.

The more stages, the higher the swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back