Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to program 80x86 microprocessor using C ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hussain_kiet

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
80x86 programming

hi
is it possible to program 80x86 microprocessor using C language..??
if yes
then please give me some usefull tutorials about it...
if no
then plzz send me tutorials of assembly programming of 80x86

Re: 80x86 programming..??

Hello,

if you intend to use x86 for embedded applications, OpenWatcom (www.openwatcom.org) would be flexible tool and powerful tool. Many of todays C compilers don't support real mode 8086, e. g. microsoft has ended it with MSVC V1.5 in 1999. Probably the best professional compiler for real mode X86 is Paradigm (www.devtools.com) , a Borland C successor. I use it with Lantronix EX processors.

I guess, there are lots of tutorials, but I don't watch for. In the embedded field, some companies supply hardware platforms, e. g. X86 processor modules. Some have excellent reference applications. If you already have your X86 hardware platform and your field of application, you should search in it's vincinity.

Regards,
Frank

this book can be helpful:
80X86 IBM PC and Compatible Computers by Mazidi, Muhammad Ali

I doubt if u would find a freeware compiler, since 8086 has long been obsolete. Either move to 386 (atleast), buy a professional tool (which I know u guys would not) or stick with microcontrollers.

Hello,

although you doubt, OpenWatcom is freeware or more exactly, open source. 8086 isn't obsolete in so far as new embedded processors of this family have been designed in the last years. I admit, that the motivation for using X86 may be in part from developers habit, but they aren't so bad at all. If you prefer, you could reagard them like veteran cars on the highway, but some have been tuned considerably.

Regards,
Frank

You can use 8086 emulator I've got it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back