Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor value to measure rise time and fall time

Status
Not open for further replies.

myql

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitor rise time

how to get the value of the capacitor across the output of a driver? Please see the ckt attach.

please let me know if you need some more information in order to answer my question.

Thank you very much!

rise time of capacitor

Why Do you want to use a capacitor?

rise time capacitor

myql,
Your question is not clear to me.
Are you trying to measure the value of the capacitor by measuring the rise time?
Are you trying to determine the value of capacitor required to get a specified rise time?
Regards,
Kral

rise time capacitance

kral,

Yes, I am trying to determine the value of the capacitor required to get a specified rise time.

could you help me on this matter?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
myql

capacitor rise time calculation

try this method.
t= k. R.c
t = time
k = constant
R = Resistence
c = capasitance
Im not sure with the value of k (may be 0,6)
93_1201065577.jpg]
93_1201065577_thumb.jpg
[/url]

myql

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
capacitor fall time

Hi,
You can do one thing. Suppose you put a known capacitor C_kn_1 at the output. The driver may have some capacitance between its o/p terminal and ground.Lets say it is C_out. Then the total capacitance at the o/p is C_out + C_kn_1. Measure the rise time t_r_1. The rise time will be

t_r_1 = R_out * (C_kn_1 + C_out)
Similarly put another known resistor C_kn_2 and the rise time can be measured. This will be
t_r_2 = R_out * (C_kn_2 + C_out)

Subtracting these two you get
t_r_1 ~ t_r_2 = R_out (C_kn_1 ~ C_kn_2)
where only unknown term is R_out. You can find it out and from the expression of either t_r_1 or t_r_2 you can find out C_out.

Therefore for any predetermined rise time t_r the capacitance required is found from the equation
t_r = R_out* (C_out + C_unkn)
or C_unkn = t_r / R_out.

I don't know how accurately you can find it out with this. the accuracy of course depends on a lot other things, like, when you load something to the driver the load will also have some input cvapacitance which adds to the total capacitance to reduce the rise time further.

where R_out is the output resistance of the driver. Then, knowing the output resistance

myql

how to measure rise time and fall time

myql
There are 2 commonly used definitions of rise time:
1) Time required for output to undergo 63% (X.63) of its total swing (the exact number is [1-(1/e)]
For this definition, C = t/R
2) Time required for the output to go from 10% of its total swing to 90% of its total swing. This is the more commonly used definition for digital systems. For this definition, C =.455t/R.
I’m assuming that you know the source resistance R. Let me know if you want the derivations.
Regards,
Kral

capacitor rise time formula

rise time =.35/F_H(f=freuq.)

myql

measure output rise time

myql,
a-tek7 is correct. This results in C =2.85t/R. Ignore my post regarding the 10-90 equation.
Regards,
Kral

33 capacitor value

low rise time means high bandwidth. A parallel cap means
filtering high frequencies, sort of low past filter, limiting
bandwidth. So a cap in parallel will lower the rise time.
Unless what you are looking for is to limit the rise time to a
certain value the question does not make sense.

trying to measure capacitor values

Kral,

can you send me the derivation?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
myql

rising time of the capacitor

The requirement of the controlled rise time or fall time is crutial. There are devices, in fact a large number of analog devices, which shows capacitive load to the drivers. Then any sharp change in the voltage levels in the input to it can give rise to a large spike of curent depending on the output resistance of the driver. A smaller output resistance makes the driver wider in bandwidth of course but there are chances that the large spike f current can even exced the allowable input current limit of the capacitive load. In that case the device can get damaged. Especially sensitive devices like CCD, APS all have these sort of problems. The rise time spec is very important for the driver.

myql

rise time and fall time

F_H=1/(2ΠRC)& T_R=2.2RC.
RC=RC so T_R/2.2=1/(2ΠF_H) so T_R=(2.2/2Π)/F_H=.35/F_H

myql

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor