Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About MOSFET, Why N-Channel are more popular than P-Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffe

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
About MOSFET

Hi, Why N-Channel Mosfet are more popular than P-Channel Mosfet? Most DC/DC controllers use N-Channel Mosfets. And I saw some power path controllers use back-to-back N-Mosfets to totally isolate two power sources, it means that one N-Mosfet's Source connects to V+ and Drain connects to V-, is it allowed to exchange the Drain and Source's position? And I see no electrical characteristic descriptions about Vsd and Is in MOSFET products' datasheets.

Re: About MOSFET

jaffe said:
Hi, Why N-Channel Mosfet are more popular than P-Channel Mosfet? Most DC/DC controllers use N-Channel Mosfets. And I saw some power path controllers use back-to-back N-Mosfets to totally isolate two power sources, it means that one N-Mosfet's Source connects to V+ and Drain connects to V-, is it allowed to exchange the Drain and Source's position? And I see no electrical characteristic descriptions about Vsd and Is in MOSFET products' datasheets.
we can positive supply but p channel need negative supply

I don't know exactly but usually N typt transistor have better efficency and greater beta and greater Gm(max about 500 in npn bjt max about 100 in pnp )

a_tek7 said:
I don't know exactly but usually N typt transistor have better efficency and greater beta and greater Gm(max about 500 in npn bjt max about 100 in pnp )
input impedance is high

There are many reason. A few are: (The question and reasoning will be same for NPN transistor too).
Most of our circuits have -ive ground and most common (and used) configuration is CE or CS (so N-channel or NPN suites)
They manufacture more due to demand (and thats why they have less cost than P-channel or PNP). So people try to design circuits which have naturaly and forcely contain N-channel or NPN (unless needed otherwise) and vice versa.

P-FETs need their their gate to be more negative than source but N-FETs need to be more positive. Obviously producing positive voltage is more straight forward than negative voltage(almost in all circuits you have positive voltage but in many you don't have negative so it need more components). You can't just replace drain and source. MOSFETs have a parasitic diode so only can be used unidirectionally if you want to use them bidirectionally you have to use two of them with source connected together hence their parasitic diode are back to back and do not conduct.
regards,

N-fet are also easyier to manufacture

I think the main reason is that electron mobility (carriers in nMOSFET) is much higher (~ 2x) than hole mobility (carriers in pMOSFET). Thus, nMOSFET with the same area as pMOSFET will have higher current and lower resistance. And Rdson is one of the main parameters of power device.

About MOSFET

It is possible to swap the position of the source and drain.It is possible in a MOSFET....

santom said:
It is possible to swap the position of the source and drain.It is possible in a MOSFET....
Have you heard anything about parasitic diode in MOSFETs?

fala said:
santom said:
Have you heard anything about parasitic diode in MOSFETs?

Hi,

Since the MOSFET is basically a switch and also an symmetric device,I just told the answer as YES for our friend's question.

By the way,I too kinda clear in the concept of Parasitc Effects in a transistor.Still,I really dont mind and will be interested to read if you give me any good information about the parasitic effects which you were talking about..

thank you in advance

Cheers
santom

Power MOSFET (e.g, LDMOS) is NOT symmetric device, so source and drain can not be interchanged!

timof said:
Power MOSFET (e.g, LDMOS) is NOT symmetric device, so source and drain can not be interchanged!

Can u please throw some light on what u told , something more specifically?

Cheers
santom

santom said:
timof said:

Can u please throw some light on what u told , something more specifically?

Cheers
santom

santom, why you don't download datasheet of a few MOSFETs and study them, for example IRF540, or you can go to international rectifier's website you will find plenty there.

Status
Not open for further replies.