Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does PICKIT2 support debugging for 16F877?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tronix69

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How does the ICD work with a PICKIT2? Do you need to load a bootloader to the PIC first? Is the data transfered via the ICSP header?
I was reading the supported device list and it says the 16F877 Supports ICD without the need for the header board and adaptor, Im used to the old style programmers which required ICD to be done via RS232.
I want to build a proto board using a 16F877 and PICKIT2 is there any thing other than ICSP that is needed?
Cheers

pickit 2 icd

16F877(A) supports debugging but when used with ICD or ICD2 boards, not with the PICKIT2.
PICKIT2 only supports for debugging some PICmicros as for example 16F88x and 16F91x family. 16F877(A) is supported by PICKIT2 only for programming (burning).

pickit 2 16f877

In the Current PICkit 2 Device Support List

**broken link removed**

It has a list of all the supported chips, some require a ICD header board & the RJ-11 to ICSP Adapter for ICD

The 16F877A is listed on that page without any warnings

Im really confused now

pickit 2 icsp

rkodaira said:
16F877(A) supports debugging but when used with ICD or ICD2 boards, not with the PICKIT2.
PICKIT2 only supports for debugging some PICmicros as for example 16F88x and 16F91x family. 16F877(A) is supported by PICKIT2 only for programming (burning).
MPLAB IDE 8.01 can debug a lot of PIC16s, PIC18s, and even a couple of PIC24s with PICkit 2. Check this link:

**broken link removed**

Cheers,

pickit2 16f877

Oh yes, Microchip has included more types of uCs capable of debugging feature using Pickit2. I had not installed the new MPLAB IDE version, so I have not read the news.
Ok, if you succeed in the 16F877A debugging with Pickit2, please let us know.

rj-11 to icsp adapter

tronix69 said:
In the Current PICkit 2 Device Support List

**broken link removed**

It has a list of all the supported chips, some require a ICD header board & the RJ-11 to ICSP Adapter for ICD

The 16F877A is listed on that page without any warnings

Im really confused now

PICKIT2 SUPPORT DEBUGGING for PIC16F877(A), but must consider some problems, because I have tested with some small programs, for debugging, and some times canot enter to debug mode, and some cases I can enter without problem in debug mode,,,,but with ICD2, donot have problems for DEBUG in same conditions...
TESTED WITH MPLAB 8, I hope for MPLAB 8.01, it is better
Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.