Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

field oxide, gate oxide, thin oxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude040

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the difference between field oxide, gate oxide and thin oxide ??
Can anyone explain me clearly
i am having some confusion in this
plz explain me in detail
Bye take care

In a CMOS design there are mainly two types of oxide layers.

Gate oxide or Thin Oxide or Field Oxide: It is a thin layer of Silicon di oxide present beneath the polysilicon gate that serves as dielectric for gate oxide capacitance. When properly biased an electric field is produced which is responsible for channel formation. Thats why it may also be referred as field oxide. In recent submicron technologies this oxide layer is less than 5 nm thin and that's why it is also referred as thin oxide layer.

Transistor sepration: This is relatively a thicker Silicon di oxide layer present with source and drain regions used to isolate one transistor from other transistors. However, in deep submicron regimes more advanced techniques of seprating transistors seperation is used like trench isolation etc.

Dear dude,

Field oxide comes into picture when u implement two transistors on same

substrate. For seperation of two transistors we put thick oxide beween them.

Gate oxide is the oxide layer that we put between the polysilicon and channel or substrate. usually this will be thin layer.

Enjoy
Santu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back