Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beam Width Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson.mike

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
beamwidth calculation

How to calculate the beamwidth (Horizontal and Vertical) of an Microstrip antenna theorytically from its physical dimension?

beamwidth formula

You have to do an antenna pattern measurement in a Open Space site, or Anechoic Chamber.
Using a test antenna and a rotary table rotate in degrees steps your microstrip antenna and measure the gain for each step.
Usually beamwidth is defined for +/- 3dB from a specific direction.

3db beamwidth formula

Hi Vfone,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm aware of these antenna measurements.

But my question was how to calculate beamwidth from patch dimension? Just like calculating gain from effective aperature area.

how to calculate beamwidth

You cannot calculate with accuracy, only you can simulate using a 3D antenna simulator, as HFSS, CST, Zeland, etc.

beam width formula

There is a common "rule" for 3 dB beamwidth. It starts breaking down for low gain antennas (6-8 dBi) so use it with caution.

BWdeg=65/(D/λ)
where D is the dimension in the plane where you are estimating beamwidth and λ is, of course, wavelength in the same units.

antenna beamwidth calculation

The empirical formula BeamWidth = 70λ/D, is valid for Parabolic Antennas and not for Microstrip Antennas, as the original post is asking.

beam width calculation

Azulykit said:
There is a common "rule" for 3 dB beamwidth. It starts breaking down for low gain antennas (6-8 dBi) so use it with caution.

BWdeg=65/(D/λ)
where D is the dimension in the plane where you are estimating beamwidth and λ is, of course, wavelength in the same units.

Length (L) of the antenna also comes in to the picture while calculating BW.
But in above mention formula Length is not mentioned.

beamwidth

The rule cited is an approximation. That is the intent of my comment about using it cautiously for less directive antennas. It is a rule of thumb and should not be taken to be an exact prediction. Do we really need to debate the constant 65 vs 70?

The parameter, D is the antenna length. You can replace the D with L and not lose generality.

antenna beamwidth formula

In general, beamwidth decreases with increasing size and frequency. There are exceptions, but this is the general trend.

parabolic antenna design emperical formulas

yea, like Azulykit said,
the beamwidth is proportional to the ratio lambda to dimension,

means: if lambda large (low freq.) beamwidth is broad (low gain)
if lambda small (high freq.) beamwidth is narrow (high gain)
and
if dimension small, beamwidth is broad (low gain)
if dimension large, beamwidth is narrow (high gain)
however, more important is the ratio. It means
if you use high frequency and very small antenna, there is no guarantee
that the beamwidth is narrow

calculate beamwidth

Thanks guys for your valuable information.

I read from one book
Horizontal Beamwidth = 115λ/L
Vertical Beamwidth=50λ/L
These are approximate formulas.

how to calculate the beamwidth

I suggest you run down a copy of Silver's book on antennas. He discusses the effect on beamwidth from various apertures in detail. If you really want to go into it that would be a place to start.

The material here does not really give you a picture of the unspoken assumptions behind the various rules.

I now think I probably should not have raised the subject in the first place.

Re: calculate beamwidth

johnson.mike said:
Thanks guys for your valuable information.

I read from one book
Horizontal Beamwidth = 115λ/L
Vertical Beamwidth=50λ/L
These are approximate formulas.

Hi, would you have the references of the book from which you found the said equations? All the books I have picked up require complicated calculations and I just want to do 1st hand approximations --- I'd like to be able to read up that book

Thanks

Hi, have you book:

Constantine A.Balanis: Antenna Theory Third edition - Analysis and design ?

There is on page 842:

Hi,

check also chapter 2 (Link analysis) of "Satellite Communications Link", maral Bousquet third edition.

You find easy formulas.

Pay attention also to the depointing error..

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Lupin

hye everyone.. i got 1 problem and its abit confuse about the antenna beamwidth and antenna beam solid angle..

so, for the question,

Find the beamwidth of an ideal antenna having gain of 35dB.

so from gain we can obtain beam solid angle which is Ωb. is this solid angle in steradian is equal to beamwidth? sory for that simple question.. can someone take me out from this confusion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back