Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anybody built this PicKit 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerman29

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pickit2 16f819

Greetings all,

Has anybody built this PicKit 2 design? I don't remember where I got it. I think it may be elsewhere in this forum. It has no op-amp, bipolar transistors instead of mosfet's, and through-hole components. A quite simple design, but appears to be fully functional compared to the original. If someone has built this or knows whose design this is, then some feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, how do you post a file for direct viewing?

pickit2 vpp error

Hi Computerman29 !

I built this design recently (1 week ago), and it works well. I have tested it with 16F819 (erasing and reprogramming). 12F675 (erasing, blank check), 16F676 (blank check). I am using PICKIT2 version 2.40 and MPLAB 8, both recognize the circuit. I started it using the Wouter´s bootloader.
A disadvantage is that Vdd does not permit 5V, as there are voltage drops over the bipolar transistors Vce, so Vdd supplied to target PIC is around 4.7V. Vpp is around 11.5V (maybe it can be adjusted by changing the voltage divider used by the A/D input feedback), but I had no problems.

I'm trying to build it too, where can I find the Wouter´s bootloader??
thanks
Lorenzo

The schematic is typical PICkit 2 sans programmable VDD and no VPP before VDD either. I like to call it a PICkit 2 SE.

You'll need a programmer to program the 18F2550, Wouter bootloader won't work on a blank PIC.

Greetings,

A word of caution: The schematic is tricky to read. I think it is wrong. My device reads 5V where it is supposed to read target Vdd. I am POSITIVE I built it correctly according to the schematic. The schematic I posted in a earlier post is wrong (my error). I corrected it on my board, but it still has the same behavior. The schematic has the Vpp pump connected to 5V. I think it needs to connect to target Vdd. Can anybody verify this?

Here is the schematic which has been verified:

here is a printer-friendly Schematic drawing:

blueroomelectronics said:
The schematic is typical PICkit 2 sans programmable VDD and no VPP before VDD either. I like to call it a PICkit 2 SE.

Interesting - i'm looking to build the easiest PICKit 2 possible and it looks like this might be it??

I assume "programmable VDD" is just to program PICs at voltages other than 5v?

What's the "VPP before VDD" bit?

Thanks

Ian

Added after 2 minutes:

Just looking at it again - can it be simplified more by removing the EEPROMS if you dont need the Programmer-to-go functionality or are they more critical to the operation?

Also, blueroomelectronics - is your Junebug kit the Pickit SE without those same 2 things?

I've since found the PK 2 Lite diagram posted by blueroomelectronics and i've been comparing that diagram with this one and there are some differences - are they functionally the same or is there differences there?

Status
Not open for further replies.