Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Standard pinout for RJ-12 and 10-pin icsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerman29

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rj12 pinout

I am considering a design for a universal ZIF. The design would be usable with PIC, and possibly others - jumper (or dipswitch) selectable.

I have seen a few such designs, but none provide full pinouts - only pin names (PGC, PGD, etc.)

Where can I find the pinout for the RJ-12 on the ICD2 and PicKit2?

Also is there a standard pinout for the 5/10-pin ICSP, or does it vary from programmer to programmer?. I can't seem to find this information.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S.: If somebody has already done this, please let me know so I don't reinvent the wheel.

icd2 pinout

My Junebug kits ZIF supports most 8 thru 40 pin PICs, although using a socket defeats the whole point of ICD.

The manuals for the PICkit 2 & ICD2 on Microchips site have the pinout info.

The 2x5 ICD like my kits use are documented in any of my kit manuals.

rj12 connector pinout

Hello,

This post serves a dual purpose and perhaps should have been 2 posts, but I digress.

First, I wish to do away with that ANNOYING RJ-12 on my Potyo 2, and convert it to a 2x5. The cables are much easier to make, and besides, I cannot find any RJ-12 jacks or plugs locally.

Second, I want to be able to use a ZIF board with a 2x5 connector (I don't always require ICSP - especially on my small projects) on my ICD2 and PicKit2. The idea being that I will have a programmer that can handle virtually ALL PICs - 3v and 5v - and have the option of using ICSP, or a universal ZIF socket.

The 2x5 ICD like my kits use are documented in any of my kit manuals.

Blueroomelectronics,

Do other PIC programmers use the same 2x5 pinout, or are they different on every programmer?

icsp pinout

It's possible the 2x5 differ but since it's not a Microchip standard anything is possible
Generally it's
VPP
+5
GND
PGD
PGC

As for the ZIF the pinout is the same for 5 & 3.3V
It's much different for dsPICs and non-existent for 24 and many 33F (No DIP packages)

4p4c pinout

Computerman29 said:
I am considering a design for a universal ZIF. The design would be usable with PIC, and possibly others - jumper (or dipswitch) selectable.

I have seen a few such designs, but none provide full pinouts - only pin names (PGC, PGD, etc.)

Where can I find the pinout for the RJ-12 on the ICD2 and PicKit2?

Also is there a standard pinout for the 5/10-pin ICSP, or does it vary from programmer to programmer?. I can't seem to find this information.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S.: If somebody has already done this, please let me know so I don't reinvent the wheel.

Would you please explain what is RJ12?

pinout rj12

RJ11 = 4 pins
RJ12 = 6 pins
RJ45 = 8 pins

RJ11 and RJ12 plugs are the same size. RJ45 plug is wider. All 3 can fit and lock into an RJ45 jack.

rj12 pinouts

That pinout should be standardized!! Considering how many different programmers there are, it could get quite confusing. Now I understand why nobody has done this. Thank you for the info.

It's much different for dsPICs and non-existent for 24 and many 33F (No DIP packages)

Actually there are a few DIP packages of 24F, 24H, and dspic33. Quite powerful little chips too.

BTW, Any plans to update your Junebug (or design a new device) to program 3V?

rj12 pin

Computerman29 said:
That pinout should be standardized!!
Agree. Good idea.:D

Added after 11 minutes:

xorcise said:
RJ11 = 4 pins
RJ12 = 6 pins
RJ45 = 8 pins

RJ11 and RJ12 plugs are the same size. RJ45 plug is wider. All 3 can fit and lock into an RJ45 jack.

Very good. Thanks.
On some cable supplier web, I saw they called 6p4c as RJ11, and 6p6c as RJ12, I am also confused for 4p4c and 4p2c. I bought a GE cable which claiming suitable for all purpose: telephone, data link, and CAT 5 Ethernet etc. This also confused me.

Now you make them all clear.

BTW, the RJ11 and RJ12 can fit to the same socket, the RJ45 plug is wider. I have been used these little devices in my daily life and didn't realise how they are related.

rj12 pins

heres the Pinout specs
gogo

PS I know this is an old submission, found it on a search and figured this would add to the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.