Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does Trade-Offs mean in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouzid

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Please could someone tell me what does mean the word: Trade-Offs.
I used Systran and it says that Trade-Offs means Differences. I can't understand this sentence using this translation.
Performance Trade-offs of the Windows 2000 Component Execution Environment

Please help.
thanks.

Re: English

trade-off means: giving up one advantage in order to gain another

so for instance...a program runs faster if it uses more memory (a space-time tradeoff)...which one will you choose...? which one matters most...? which one matters least..? it all depends on your priorities...do you want to save memory space or have faster results..!

another example...if you're compressing an image...you reduce its size but you need CPU time to do that...is size more important or time?

so for your example: Performance Trade-offs of the Windows 2000 Component Execution Environment ...it means: the performance features that will be taken into account versus the ones that will be left cause they are less important or effective...

i hope that was clear :D

English

Hi salma ali bakr,
I knew that the my translation was wrong.
Thanks for your effort.

Hi,

I'm glad you got it...

By the way, there's a really interesting site of a "dictionary"...I love it, it's just SO FAST :D

www.definr.com

Enjoy!
Salma

Another personal example is that when you graduate from school and get a paying job you can either save your increased earnings or spend them immediately. If you save and invest you will have more later and can buy more things you want. On the other had buying some things immediately will give you enjoyment for several years which might be worth more to you than several years of self imposed poverty followed by more possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back