Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Over voltage protection in LDO

Status
Not open for further replies.

tia_design

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ldo vishal gupta

I plan to design a LDO using CMOS process. The maximum voltage for this process is 9V. The LDO will be protected from 18V maximum transient voltage.
There is no Zener diode and NPN device in this process. Can any one give me some good idea for high voltage protection? Thanks!

use the inverse aspect of ldo

and use two ldo to form a current mirror
this way overvoltage in = null current from any imbalance...

to form a BRIDGED LDOR

Hi, VSMVDD,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you give a little more detailed description of your idea? My process is dual well nwell, if there are two LDO, I think the mos devices in one of the LDO will experience overvoltage probelm.

By the way, is your idea similar to the following paper:
A Low Dropout, CMOS Regulator with High PSR over Wideband Frequencis by Vishal Gupta

What's max current output for your LDO?
If it is not too high, you can try series a resistor and some voltage clamp to realize it. Otherwise, I think it is mission impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back