Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ocilators power supply in pic Micro controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirVaan

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how does a picmicro work

hello there

im software engineering undergrad and recently i was interested in programming and using PIC micro controllers for some hobby projects.but the thing is im not fluent in electronics .so i have a problem about the hardware aspects of a PIC micro controller (i have a good understanding of the internal architecture and assembly language)

thus can any one tell me the different circuits used as the power supply and as oscillators and how they work, like what each part of normal power supply circuit of a PIC microntroller does ( i.e. why there is a capacitor used and how it effects the circuit) i just wanna have a broader understanding of these circuits so ill be more comfortable with programming PICs. i hope what i said made sense

if any one knows abt a good book or any tutorials or website where i can learn these from please tell me as well

thankz

crystal ocilators

Hello
try this e-book

regards

picmicro from mains

hello the link doesnt seem to work :(

5v power supply for picmicro

from my side it is working ok
i think you have to increase your points to view this file
try to search using google also
regards

Working with PICmicros is not that difficult, as they are designed to work in several ways of power supply and source of clock.

Beginning by the power supply, PICs can be powered by batteries or by power supplies (linear or switched mode). The most common voltage is 5V, but it can vary from 2 to 5.5V (depending on the model of PIC). Using voltages around 4 to 5V is error proof, as it can be available by three 1.5V cells in series. I think it is the more simple way to supply the PIC. Variations can be obtained with 9V or 12V batteries and a linear regulator IC (for example the 7805 or 78L05 for 5V output). Different and variable voltages can be possible with the LM317 regulator IC with adjustable voltage output. Supplying with the mains power network need a transformer (110V to 8Vac) a rectifier and some reservoir/filter capacitors, and the regulators ICs described before.
This will save the batteries.
No matter what the way you are supplying power to the PIC, you should connect a 100nF bypass (ceramic) capacitor near the 2 rail pins (the Vdd and Vss) to filter against noise, glitches, coming from or generated by the whole circuit.

Some words about the oscillator (source of clock):
PICs can be clocked by external sources (oscillator circuit), or with the addition of some components (quartz crystal, ceramic resonator, or resistor-capacitor) compose the oscillator built in some pins.
The easier and more simple way is to use the internal RC oscillator, that does not need any additional component. The disadvantage in the accuracy and stability. If you need accuracy, go for the crystal based oscillator (and two more 22pF capacitors).
The oscillator type is selected by the fuses configuration, and depend also on the frequency. The lower the operation frequency, the less power the PIC will consume.
All these details are available in the datasheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back