Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubt regarding VHDL 9-value logic application in Xilinx FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlsi_freak

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I have a doubt regarding VHDL 9 value logic application in Xilinx FPGA. Its is said that there are 9- logic values which can be used while writing HDL's but in most of the designs i can see obly logic 0, logic 1 and 'Z' (High Impedence).

I am writing a code for Spartan FPGA's.

My question is, what is the use of Weak Unknown(W), Weak zero (L), Weak High (H), while writing a code in VHDL. Is there anything like i can enable Pull up, Pull down in FPGA's with the help of these.

Regards

Added after 3 hours 31 minutes:

Added after 48 seconds:

Hi..

Can anyone help me out!!!

Thanks

Re: VHDL 9-value logic

In VHDL, we always have U and L and H (not sure about W, maybe it's U??). It's for pullup and pulllow in tristate purpose. I don't think it can be synthesized.

vlsi_freak said:
Hi.

I have a doubt regarding VHDL 9 value logic application in Xilinx FPGA. Its is said that there are 9- logic values which can be used while writing HDL's but in most of the designs i can see obly logic 0, logic 1 and 'Z' (High Impedence).

I am writing a code for Spartan FPGA's.

My question is, what is the use of Weak Unknown(W), Weak zero (L), Weak High (H), while writing a code in VHDL. Is there anything like i can enable Pull up, Pull down in FPGA's with the help of these.

Regards

Added after 3 hours 31 minutes:

Added after 48 seconds:

Hi..

Can anyone help me out!!!

Thanks

Added after 1 minutes:

For Xilinx FPGA pullup and pulllow, I think you can use pad constrain...

You may use H, L, U in testbench design

Re: VHDL 9-value logic

Hi vlsi_freak!
yes u'r right weak high or low value r used for modelling pull-ups. for example:
u've a signal line which u want to keep in either high or low logic value (when no-one is driving that line), then u can give it value either weak high or low accordingly so that when someone starts driving that signal no error or signal-contention occurs on that line (sine weak high or low will always get over-ride by that driving value). On the other hand if u assign it strong high or low value then signal-contention (or unknown value) will occur if the driver tries to drive it with other logic value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back