Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pspice transformer modeling (help?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Cool

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transformer pspice

hello all,

i am using orcad PSpice v10.0 and am trying to model a non-linear transformer using the Advanced Analysis tools. i see there are many different cores to choose from, but i do not understand how they relate to core datasheets?

for example, from the advanced anlaysis CORE library, i find this core:

ETD29_3C85

i see it is of shape ETD, with size 29. i assume 3C85 is the material type. do all transformer manufacturers use the same definitions? for example, material type "3C85" (assuming this IS the material type) is the same for magnetics inc., TDK, ferroxcube etc etc. ?

also, i am looking for a step by step tutorial on how to use Advanced Analysis tools with transformer designs. i have a document that indicates its capable of "optimizing" the circuit such that it chooses the correct gap and # of turns to maintain stability and load regulation. how cool! but how to do this?

can anyone recommend some good "how to model non-linear transformers" with Pspice?

but what about core model "K3019PL_3C8" the only thing that looks familiar is material type "3C8". who makes this transformer, what shape is it, how do i find datasheet?? its completely confusing.

thx
Mr.Cool

spice transformer model

view this document:

ferroxcube spice

by the way, if anyone reads this post in the future.. the pspice manual "analog databook" has a great chapter on their transformer core parameters and models.

Mr.Cool

pspice manual

First question, wich pspice software are you using?
And second where can i download this related manual???

Thanks Mr Cool

spice sofware transformer modeling

cadence version 15.0

the full title is: "Analog Library Device Data Book" look under chapter 5 with heading "Power Design Library: Magnetic Cores"

you should be able to find this manual through google or copernic if you do not have the full softare

Mr.Cool

Hi Mr.cool,

I am having the same doubts as you were having regarding core selection for transformers in pspice.
I tried searching Analog Library Device Data Book on google but was not able to find it. If possible could you please pm me the link.

How to decode type of core by just the name like ETD29_3C85 or K3019PL_3C8. You were having the same doubt. Were you able to resolve.

Kindly help
Thanks a lot

I would like a link to download "Analog Library Device Data Book" as this interest me also.
I google searched and found nothing there....

ya, the documentation for magnetics has been MUCH improved in pspice doc folder (comes installed with the software). wow.. been 7 years since that first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back