Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing a USB Flash drive with rs232

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjarider

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb flash drive over rs232

I need to interface a Microcontroller based board equipped with a rs232 to an USB Flash drive memory. Is it possible to use a rs232 to USB coverter to read/write flash memory? If yes, do you know how to write FAT files using commands from rs232?

Thank you in advance.

rs232 to usb converter flash drive

You can use USB host to access usb flashdrive.

flash drive to rs232

Can you suggest me a suitable USB host?

Thank you for the attention

rs232 to flash drive

Hi ninjarider ..
If you want to do simple project .You better don't go looking for a USB host .. those controllers are only avalaible in hi end cpus (32 bits at least)

If what you want to do is to be able to interface a USB drive in an embedded low cost solution.You'd be better off using a USB -> serial
or USB -> parallel solution . Like the ones that FTDI sells ..look for https://www.ftdichip.com/
an request information on how to connect a USB slave with one of their chips ...

Hi eltonjohn thank you for the answer. My problem is that the board is already done and I have only a serial port for the communications, so I'm looking for
a simple solution that allows to write data on a USB flash drive.

I looked at FTDI, cypress and ST web site and I found only a lot of windows drivers for their chip, but not much on microcontroller to a USB slave device.

Is me again

Hi again ninjarider
Give the FTDI people a call i have used several times their parallel ->USB
adapter and it works well when interfaced to a PC . That is to say ,a USB host.. I don't know if their chip has the capability for arbitrating a USB slave .. I assume that not! .. But give them a call ..they might have something that you could use !

USB solutions from FTDI is only slave and don't work with usb slave device, they work only with host usb.
You can use usb host controller from phillips - ISP116X(**broken link removed**), but you can't use RS232, usb host must be connected to microcontroller's system bus.

TP561 of IC Plus Corp is a 56K Modem Chip USB.
-Full compliance with the USB Specification v1.1
-Support the RS232 Serial interface
-Support automatic handshake mode
-Over 1Mbps transfer rate
-Support remote wake-up and power management
-Dual data buffers for upstream and downstream data flow
-Support default ROM or external EEPROM for device
configuration
-On chip USB transceiver
-On chip crystal oscillator running at 12M Hz
-28 Pins SSOP package

Status