Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion of materials to learn about power electronics and its application in motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello... I'm new here..
Currently I'm very interested in power electronics especially on its application on controlling motors. But I don't know now exactly where to start..
Can anybody tell me good references to learn about it...
I'm also a little bit confused about the application of VFD (variable frequency drive), how do industries use VFD?
Thanks anyway...

power electronics by bhimbra

U can start picking up by triggering triacs, scrs.Controlling the triggering angle of an AC voltage with those.
Add microcontroller to that circuit and implement the same.
Then get into motors.
VFD is a vast area and the technology is booming.
There are lots and lots of techniques and things implemented in VFD.
VFD's are used where the motor speed,torque etc are to controlled ina most efficient way.
Say for eg:- spinning mills,washing machines,a/c,other automated machines etc..

start witha discrete VFD drive and then go with the integrated ones.

Look into the sites of international rectifier,infineon,sanyo semiconductors etc.They have quite lot of application notes on VFD's

gudluk

nemi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
power electronics bhimbra download

nemi said:
Can anybody tell me good references to learn about it...

i think rashid's books on power electronics are good
they start from scratch from switches (like diodes, SCRs,...) till converters, inverters,...
good luck

Re: Power electronics

Hi,

The Essence of Power Electronics (Ross) is a good book to start with.

Do not go into the trap of books with lots of equations, which confuse you the most. Learn simpole things first and then try for somthing difficult

All the best

Hi Friend,

Refer "Muhammed H. Rashid" "An Introduction to Power Electronics".
Prentice Hall of India Publications.

Regards,
Avinash.S.

In order to understand the purpose of a VFD, u must first understand the principle of an AC induction motor and the relation of its speed with frequency, load and slip

Power electronics

Hi,
Did you find what you needed?
If not, I would suggest you to look carefuly in the ebooks of EDA:

You can find many good references in that forum and download them without loosing any points (from mirror sites).
Regards

Hi its nice to hear that ur working on POWER ELECTRONICS.I completed mtech in power electronics recently.u needed references right POWER ELECTRONICS by RASHID and bhimbra will help u a lot and for drives refer to Power electronics and Drives by Ned Mohan and also book by name AC and DC drives by Murphy

Power electronics

better to Start with power electronics by khanchandani-Tata mc-grawhill publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back