Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Mode Design vs Voltage mode designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

swagata

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
current mode vs voltage mode

Hallo everybody!

Current Mode designs are extremely becoming popular now. I invite a general comparison of it with voltage mode designs.Any highlights on the advantage & disadvantage of both methods would be beneficial.

current mode design

you can refer to Dr. Ridley's paper <Voltage mode or current mode>

paley said:
you can refer to Dr. Ridley's paper <Voltage mode or current mode>

Plz give me the link

the main advantage of current mode design is that signal is unattenuated while being transmitted through a resistance which is the most significant factor of most components... whereas voltage when transmitted gets attenuated due to resistance which cannot be avoided...

swagata

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
then current mode must be concerned with conductive loss...

what are you meaning by conductive loss... because whether it is a capacitor or inductor or resistor that is modeled in the transmission line it is gonna be in parallel and hence the current is not going to be reduced...

Thanks for the discussion.
Plz enlighten me comparing the followings in voltage with current mode.
1.voltage swing/current swing
2.input range
3.impedance
4.slew rate
5.linearity

You can also give me related lectures/tutorials in pdf/link.
Thanks again

voltage swing would be more in voltage mode design
current swing would be more in current mode design

input range,slew rate and linearity depends on the system for both. lots of trade off will be involved....

output impedance of voltage mode is low and it is high for current mode....

hi all
i think the posts above misunderstand what the first author want to discuss.
some people talked about the conceptions of voltage mode and current mode, these i think used mostly in power electronic ic domain.
but i think the first post want to know is, in general analog ic part, what is the difference between voltage and current mode.

correct me if i'm wrong.
good luck
jeff

see this book

the author of the book is professor at my university, he also gave us these brief review notes

swagata

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanx to all those who have participated in the discussion & shared their resources here.
Jfyan is also right that I m seriously interested in Analog IC part mainly.But every contribution has enlightened me in their own way.
Thanx again

Thanks to all.
I also want to design the Buck step-down dc-dc converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back