Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is more preferred BGA or TSOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4sandesh_vsn

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi....

can someone tell me which one out of BGA n TSOP is more preffered n why....

as far as i know its BGA....but can u compare in terms of onchip soldering or placement complexities on the PCB....

thnx in advance

tsop vs bga package

BGA for mass production units (>1000)
TSOP for small quantity.
Cost would also be a factor (I'd guess right now that a BGA would be more $$ than it's TSOP counterpart) TSOP only go up to about 64 pins, and in the designs I work with, we'll stay with the accessible parts unless they're only available in BGA packages.

The reason being, if you have to trouble shoot/repair a board, It's much
easier to re-work/replace the TSOP part where all solder joints are accessible.

X-Ray equipment is needed to trouble-shoot the BGA because of it's hidden solder joints.

site:edaboard.com bga inductance

the major advantages of BGA over TSOP are
1) minimum lead inductance
2) occupies less space
3) high density most siutable for packages with more pinout

but TSOP are used where pin inductance does not interfere the performance.
Area Vs Pin count trade off.

it really not needed to have a BGA with just 20balls.

tsop vs bga

if money doen't matter, size DOES matter, go with BGA. Otherwise TSSOP.

Sometimes we assembly TSSOP for customers for free in prototyping, but it take a big bulk of money to assembly even one BGA. A stencil and reflow solder must be used.

mike@ezpcb.com

fbga vs. ssop

If you select the BGA you may to go for multilayer, but in TSOP it is not the case.

Raj

bga trouble shoot

is it so,why is that Raj Tsop can't be used for Multilayers,can you please explain?

Regards

Ramesh

design for bga

Rame,
What I think Raj is saying is that with a BGA you pretty much have no choice but to go to a multilayer design, not that you can't do a multilayer design with a TSOP.

tsop pin inductance

TSOP can be used for two and multi layer also. In two layer design, BGA would be hard to route power, ground and signals than TSOP. So that you have to go for multi layer design for BGA chips(especially from 256 pins)

Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back