Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about electromagnet design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosjada

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm in the process of constructing an electromagnet with an iron core. I intend to use an AC input / DC output power supply. I don't have the exact one I need yet and have been referencing off of an old broken one. Kinda stumped on the connections.

On the p.s. output board there are + & - markings with wires coming out of each. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since this is a DC output and if the ends of these two wires were connected together - it would behave like connecting a wire between the + & - terminals of a D-cell battery right?

I intend to use aluminum conductor strip (looks like a roll of tape and has lots of turns) for the coil. Would there be any current differences between the adapter's copper wires?

And finally, 12 to 24vdc & 4 or more amps is the ballpark for this project. How would I determine the suitable gauge of strip coil based on these numbers? The coil diameter is going to fill about 5 inches in diameter.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Electromagnet Qs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since this is a DC output and if the ends of these two wires were connected together - it would behave like connecting a wire between the + & - terminals of a D-cell battery right?

its a short-circuit. you don't want to do that! its probably worse than connecting a D-cell because the battery has a finit impedence that is probably higher than your powersupply output (that has large capacitors with very low impedance). so your power supply will give a higher peak current. on the + side, your power supply *probably* has a fuse, or short-circuit protection so it may stop you from causing harm due to stupidity.

you're trying to build an electromagnet? there's really good information over here:

**broken link removed**

i think this link will answer all your questions

good luck,
Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back