Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

footprint compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4sandesh_vsn

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi...can anyone tell me

what do we mean by footprint of an FPGA...?

n its said tht Virtex5 devices are footprint compatible...what does it mean?

Footprint referes to the package of the FPGA. When they are said to be compatible what it means is that one fpga can be used for a bigger or a smaller version in the same series.

Say if you designed your board for lx20 but later you needed more logic resource so you can directly swap the lx20 with a bigger lx100 device.

Basically it means that some of the pins like power,clk inputs, i/o's etc are the same no matter how many logic resources are present inside the chip.

i guess it means that the same pins are used across different versions of FPGAs...so there would be a compatibility when doing the same design on different ones..and no need to make changes

It means that the chip pinouts,dimensions and pin sequence will be same in the two devices.. The only difference will be in the onchip die..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back